Humidity help

Kaska

Im getting a redfoot and have coconut husk substrate. What is the proper humidity level? It's a closed enclosure. Do I just water the substrate or do I need a fogger? If a fogger does anyone have a way to make one without having to buy them? Thanks

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Redfoot need humidity of over 70 %.
This can be accomplished by using a closed chamber enclosure.
I use orchid bark. Your husk should work, covered by a few inches of soil. Not sand.
Pour water into the corners as needed. The bottom layer will absorb the water and give off humidity as it evaporates and leave the upper substrate dry.
You want high humidity. Not a wet Redfoot.
Also, avoid bright lights and make the whole thing 80 to 88 degrees.

NoNo

Québec Canada
hello,
I changed my mind about keeping humidity in enclosure by pouring humidity in the corners.For sure it Should be a good way but it is too complicated for me to deal with.
Some day I pour water in the corner (too much) and 2 days after substrate start to be too much humid.
So today I bought a http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/hometrends-36-l-ultrasonic-humidifier/6000196060669
and a 1" X 3' hose in canadian tire

something like this
serveimage

I just connect the hose to the humidifier, plug the humidifier to the heater (CHE) thermostat and did a hole on the top of the enclosure for the hose.When Che go on, humidifier go on too.
I just test it right now and it seems to be easier for having the right humidity % (for me).
I'll tell you in a few day.

edit:
PS: I'm learning in the redfoot world,I'm just an apprentice

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Im getting a redfoot and have coconut husk substrate. What is the proper humidity level? It's a closed enclosure. Do I just water the substrate or do I need a fogger? If a fogger does anyone have a way to make one without having to buy them? Thanks
Hi kaska.

Everybody's situation is different, so you need to find what's best for you.
In my closed systems after the initial set up with moist coir I don't need to add more water to the enclosure, I have 1 or 2 water dishes big enough that the evaporation of those dishes keep the humidity up, I also spray the tort twice a day, not the enclosure, it's literally 1 Spritz per tort on the carapace.
In my open enclosure that is already in a large hot humid room, I spray the entire enclosure every day in the morning and evening. So it basically rains on them for 2 minutes twice a day, because it's open the air circulation dries off the substrate throughout the day. In the closed system the air circulation is restricted so if you keep adding and adding and adding water you will end up with stagnant water under your substrate, bacteria and mould will start to Fester.
I don't use foggers, the make enclosed systems too wet over time and pointless in open systems.
Btw, what is your system. An open system in a normal room will be to dry for redfoots.

Hope this helps.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I also have decided against foggers after having used them in the past.
Some keepers DO use them. I just found them to be not needed and the mist seems to come out too cold and too wet.
It sounds like you have used too much water and or not an absorbent enough bottom substrate layer.

NoNo

Québec Canada
Hello All,
After using for weeks an humidifier, I just like it a lot. I plug the humidifier to the heater (CHE) thermostat and did a hole on the top of the enclosure for the hose.When Che starts , humidifier starts too.It just keep the right % of humidity, keep Dino's substrat dry.For me it is easier to manage humidity level.
This remains constant despite the fact that the terrarium is regularly opened several times a day to look after Dino.
Now I breathe without having my problems of humidity of the beginning and this thanks to all the good advice of the lovers of the turtles who are on this forum
Thank you again to all.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    700.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 4.jpg