humidity help please ??

Mammyjuls

Ok I have been trying to keep my humidity up but finding it very hard I get it up then it drops straight down after couple of hours can some please help me and tell me what I am doing wrong thanks

Mammyjuls

I keep getting it up to 60 70 and then when I go back not keeps dropping to about 20 to 30 with is to low I have a greek tortise 2 yr old

I use coco coir sudtrate I keep spraying the enclouser to try and keep it up but not working also made a small hole in the coco coir and made a little pool of water then covered back up and that's not working either

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Is your tort home enclosed or covered with something to keep the humidity in?

Mammyjuls

We are in the middle of building a new enclouser with is bigger but I can not get the humidity right in this one and the bigger one will be even harder to get right so trying to find out what I am doing wrong

Mammyjuls

b0TlZ6.jpg

At the min he is in this but like I say we are building a lot bigger one for him at the min

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
What are you using to measure humidity? It's hard to imagine it's dropping as low as 20% in an enclosed habitat like that. Do you live in a desert by any chance?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Make the substrate deeper. It will offer your tortoise a place to burrow, and hold moisture better. 6" is good. Water it as if it were a garden bed. You can stir the water in with your hands, a garden fork, or not at all. I think you may afraid to add enough water at the start.

Humidity in the air is not so important. At ground level and at burrowing depth it's critical.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Make the substrate deeper. It will offer your tortoise a place to burrow, and hold moisture better. 6" is good. Water it as if it were a garden bed. You can stir the water in with your hands, a garden fork, or not at all. I think you may afraid to add enough water at the start.

Humidity in the air is not so important. At ground level and at burrowing depth it's critical.
Yes, what Johnsonn said. That will make a big difference!

Mammyjuls

What are you using to measure humidity? It's hard to imagine it's dropping as low as 20% in an enclosed habitat like that. Do you live in a desert by any chance?
Lol no I don't live in a desert and I am measuring it with one of them temp gages that have temp and humidity both on one thing

conservation

10 Year Member!
I would guess that your humidity gauge is not working properly. I would recommend purchasing a better gauge if your worried about it.