Humidity and temperature help

Jackyyyy

Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Ontario
Hi everyone, I recently bought a zoomed fogger, it keeps humidity very well. At the same time, I'm very concern about the fog it's bad for my tortoises health because I turned it on almost whole day. Also, It seems the fog is pretty disturb to them, my sulcata even woke up at midnight. Due to weather condition, I have to use ceramic infrared heater at night which also cause the humidity dropping significantly. By the way, the substrate I'm currently using is cypress mulch. Sorry for my English, any helps are appreciate! Thank you so much!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
What humidity meter are you using? If its one them disk types they are no good .

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I run my fogger on a timer so that it is only on in the day. I run the tube from the top of the enclosure so the fog is not coming out at the ground. They need the humidity so as long as your temps are high enough he will get use to it and be better for it.

Prairie Mom

Hello and welcome! I think your English is great! I've struggled a little with humidity too. A few people on this internet forum have really helped me with my enclosure. lismar79 has great tortoise enclosures and a member named Tom who is a very experienced tortoise keeper wrote this thread about closed tortoise enclosures: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/ His argument for completely enclosed chambers is very good and I strongly recommend you try it out. You can test this by simply putting tin foil (aluminum) on top of your enclosure wire and lights. If you close the top of your tortoise enclosure, the zoomed fogger won't have to stay on as long, because you are keeping all the humidity and warm air inside. Your tortoise will be kept warmer and will get used to the fogger. The higher humidity has really helped my tortoise. I have also learned that tortoises enclosures do not need a lot of air flow. They get enough oxygen in their enclosure when you open it up to soak them and feed them etc, so feel free to close the chamber and try it out:D

Prairie Mom

Great! It looks like you are really working on covering your enclosure! But I would suggest using shiny metal aluminum (sometimes called tinfoil in English) to cover the whole top including the lights.
aluminum top.jpg
This is what I'm doing right now until we finish building our new enclosure. It looks ugly, but I am able to keep the recommended temperature and humidity levels that have been taught to me here on this forum. My tortoise is doing so much better! If you cover your enclosure up like this, it will become much warmer inside, so make sure you closely watch your heat temperatures.

Prairie Mom

Woo hoo! :D Looks like your tortoise will be way more comfortable! Good job! Be sure to keep reading posts and ask lots of questions if you're still having trouble. You may find that a lot of heat and humidity still escapes around your lights, so keep working on it and adjusting things until you get the right humidity and temperature. If you still have problems with humidity, keep posting here and hopefully other members can share great ideas. If you have different questions, don't hesitate to make new posts for members to help you with. Meanwhile, there are lots of good posts on the forum that are really helpful. Many really important posts have "lock" symbols next to their titles and are located toward the top of the screen in each forum section; be sure to read those. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/ is an example of a great one to read and discusses important things like: having a dark humid hide box in your enclosure, diet, proper lighting, and temperatures. Good luck! I'm glad you found this forum. The members here have helped me a lot and I'm sure they will do the same for you! :)

Prairie Mom

I'm still working on how to put everything inside of the enclosure. Anyways thank you so much! I'm glad that I meet you in this forum!!!
My enclosure is a work in progress too, so I completely understand. It's nice to meet you too. Take care!:)

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Also....the water dish you are using is a tipping/flipping hazard for tortoises. They're great for lizards and snakes and such but not Tortoises even if the packaging said it is. The manufacturers of these things must not have had any land turtles. :/ a good water dish is the terracotta saucer for potted plants. you can sink it into the substrate so as to make entry and exit easy. They're heavy and the perfect depth. Just get one bigger than your tortoise so he can get in it and soak. Congrats on the new tort and welcome....