Humidity and soaking during winter

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
How do you go about soaking a 20lb sulcata in the winter? I am worried about dehydration.
By 20 lbs that tort should be drinking from a bowl. My Sulcata are all taught to drink from a dish, when they are young. I use a non spillable dog bowl.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
How did you get them to do that?
I start when they are about 5 using a non spillable dog dish, I stop soaking and start offering a water dish. When they get thirsty enuf they drink from a dish. So far Mary Knobbins is a hold out. I have never seen her drink...

Mandysaur

Austin, Texas
5 years or 5 months? Does age matter? I offer water and he has a large pool when the weather is nice but I have only seen him drink three times in his whole life. This is his first winter outside and it’s an adjustment for both of us!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I start when they are about 5 using a non spillable dog dish, I stop soaking and start offering a water dish. When they get thirsty enuf they drink from a dish. So far Mary Knobbins is a hold out. I have never seen her drink...
A properly started sulcata will be 50+ pounds at five years old...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How do you go about soaking a 20lb sulcata in the winter? I am worried about dehydration.
Put the soaking tub somewhere warm and use warm water to soak them in. Keep adding fresh warm water as needed.

20 pounds is starting to get too big for the bath tub, but you might get away with it for one more winter. Heat the bathroom to 90 degrees with a space heater and a closed door.

Mandysaur

Austin, Texas
Put the soaking tub somewhere warm and use warm water to soak them in. Keep adding fresh warm water as needed.

20 pounds is starting to get too big for the bath tub, but you might get away with it for one more winter. Heat the bathroom to 90 degrees with a space heater and a closed door.
Daily or a couple times a week?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
5 years or 5 months? Does age matter? I offer water and he has a large pool when the weather is nice but I have only seen him drink three times in his whole life. This is his first winter outside and it’s an adjustment for both of us!
5 years
A properly started sulcata will be 50+ pounds at five years old...
Yes, Tom, I know that, however, all of my chelonia are rescues, and evidently most are started wrong. None of the Sulcata I have had were 'normal', and I know I raise them different then your recommendations, I probably should stop giving advice about Sulcata.
example, Mary Knobbins, I figure she's 5 or 6 years old and she weighed out at 20 lbs
100_4094.JPG

Big Sam is 7-8 years old and 35 lbs
100_5089.JPG