Humidity and enclosure

Dipa

Location (City and/or State)
Mahesana,Gujarat,India
Hi
I want to make the enclosure high humid.
But i have to make it humid with spraying water
If i spray water in the wood enclosure , doesn't it will be rot?

N

no one

Yes, that could be the case. I personally am not a big fan of wooden enclosures for young Tortoises that need lots of humidity.

Mayby you can get a very big plastic box with a lid. And make carvings for your lamps? Just thinking... That is what I used temporarily for my baby hedgehog.

Dipa

Mahesana,Gujarat,India
Yes, that could be the case. I personally am not a big fan of wooden enclosures for young Tortoises that need lots of humidity.

Mayby you can get a very big plastic box with a lid. And make carvings for your lamps? Just thinking... That is what I used temporarily for my baby hedgehog.
I ordered a wood
And it is almost complete
It will be delivered tomorrow evening
What should i do?

N

no one

Hmm, maybe put a plastic layer taped on the bottom and the sides? Under the substrate... But make sure Cookie can not get under it of course.

Dipa

Mahesana,Gujarat,India
Hmm, maybe put a plastic layer taped on the bottom and the sides? Under the substrate... But make sure Cookie can not get under it of course.
The dish will be in built according to his size
And in future needs it can be changed
But for closed i have to use the wood or the half wire and half wood or full wire?
The photos are like these can u reccomend?
images%20(2).jpegimages%20(1).jpegimages.jpeg

Dipa

Mahesana,Gujarat,India
I saw one youtube video in which the person is covering the enclosure with plastic
But if the plastic will be wet
Doesnt it will also do the harm?
And what kind of plastic can i use?

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
I saw one youtube video in which the person is covering the enclosure with plastic
But if the plastic will be wet
Doesnt it will also do the harm?
And what kind of plastic can i use?

Hey Dipa

I think I’m going to be in the same position as you as I have ordered a wooden table. I am also worried about humidity levels. I am lucky that I have someone at home that can mist the enclosure during the day. The other thing I have considered if covering the cool end of the table with plastic, probably a shower curtain or maybe pond liner? And also I have looked into getting a reptile fogger. I would only turn it on low twice per day for maybe 30 mins.

Dipa

Mahesana,Gujarat,India
I
Hey Dipa

I think I’m going to be in the same position as you as I have ordered a wooden table. I am also worried about humidity levels. I am lucky that I have someone at home that can mist the enclosure during the day. The other thing I have considered if covering the cool end of the table with plastic, probably a shower curtain or maybe pond liner? And also I have looked into getting a reptile fogger. I would only turn it on low twice per day for maybe 30 mins.
I always have someone at home mostly my sibling sister she loves Cookie
So she can mist and will
I also looked for pond liner
Lets see if it is available in my city or not?
And what is reptile fogger,?
I dont know enough about the reptile useful equipments and electronics..:(

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Misting and humidifiers will not solve your problem. You need a very moist substrate in an enclosed chamber that will hold in the heat and humidity. If the enclosure is made of wood, the wood must be sealed. A good, non-toxic paint must be used. With a closed chamber, a liner will not work. The humidity will cause mold to grow on the wood quite quickly. That will happen under and behind any liner.

A damp substrate is a key to proper setup. It will keep the humidity in the enclosure up, but it also provides for the natural way tortoises scratch and dig at the surface as they dig in for the night. This natural reflex constantly exposes more moist soil and creates a much more constant humidity level right where the tortoise is resting. they create their own micro-climate.

Find a good primer, and then a good, gloss paint that is at least advertised as "child safe" or best is "food safe". Paint the entire inside of the enclosure with a couple coats. IF you can find it, you can also use a pond sealer that is made for fish ponds to paint the inside.

Dipa

Mahesana,Gujarat,India
Misting and humidifiers will not solve your problem. You need a very moist substrate in an enclosed chamber that will hold in the heat and humidity. If the enclosure is made of wood, the wood must be sealed. A good, non-toxic paint must be used. With a closed chamber, a liner will not work. The humidity will cause mold to grow on the wood quite quickly. That will happen under and behind any liner.

A damp substrate is a key to proper setup. It will keep the humidity in the enclosure up, but it also provides for the natural way tortoises scratch and dig at the surface as they dig in for the night. This natural reflex constantly exposes more moist soil and creates a much more constant humidity level right where the tortoise is resting. they create their own micro-climate.

Find a good primer, and then a good, gloss paint that is at least advertised as "child safe" or best is "food safe". Paint the entire inside of the enclosure with a couple coats. IF you can find it, you can also use a pond sealer that is made for fish ponds to paint the inside.
So if i can find the pond sealer then other things are not needed?
Is it enough?

kaycov

5 Year Member
Lexington
Hi
I want to make the enclosure high humid.
But i have to make it humid with spraying water
If i spray water in the wood enclosure , doesn't it will be rot?

I use a fogger, and it keeps the humidity at over 70%. Sometimes I find they very close to the fog area and sometimes not. But's a great investment and does the job. I got mine at Chewy.com and it cost about $50, I think. Worth its weight in gold.