Humid hide question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tignish99

5 Year Member
My baby cherryhead is about 2 1/4 inches. What size humid hide is good for her? I have the feeling the one I have for her is too small. She sort of walks in half way, sits there for a few minutes and then walks away. I wonder if she is not happy with it. I am using a plastic box with an opening and a wet paper towel. I am still searching for sphagnum moss which is getting more difficult than I expected. Is there something better than a paper towel, that can be used permanently if I am not successful at finding the moss? Thank you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You want to be sure the bottom of the substrate is wet, not the top. RF can get shell rot fairly easy. As for the hide, what ever size is big enough for her to fit into easily and turn around.

tignish99

5 Year Member
wellington said:
You want to be sure the bottom of the substrate is wet, not the top. RF can get shell rot fairly easy. As for the hide, what ever size is big enough for her to fit into easily and turn around.

Thank you for your answer. I apologize if I sound ignorant, but I am not sure what you mean by bottom of the substrate.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry, I didn't explain very good. The underneath. So the top layer is not wet but the under layers are. This can be done by either wetting the top substrate and then mixing it up so that the majority of the wet is on the bottom or you can pour the water in a couple corners, so it will wet the bottom layers of substrate. In a humid hide, you can put wet coconut coir on the bottom and a layer of moss on top or just another layer of dry coir on top.

tignish99

5 Year Member
jareeed2 said:
You can find the best Moss at Home Depot!

I will call Home Depot. Are there any issues with fertilizer, other chemicals or bugs I should worry about? I am finding many different types of sphagnum moss and some of it is dry and dead meant for planting, and other is the live green stuff. I am assuming I should get the live green stuff? Any particular kind?

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Boston
ImageUploadedByTortForum1369751845.763450.jpg
This is it right here, no Chems. Or Fertz. All Organic

Last edited by a moderator:

tignish99

5 Year Member
jareeed2 said:
This is it right here, no Chems. Or Fertz. All Organic

Oh I see! So the cypress as substrate for the rest of the enclosure, and the this sphagnum moss in the humid hide? And have the cypress under moist but not wet, but not wet the moss further?

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Boston
Yes on the cypress mulch, but you wanna mist the moss in the hide.. Mist the top, turn it over, mist again, not to much misting but enough to keep it humid, i like to mist the top and sides of the hide as well

Status
Not open for further replies.