Humid Hide Box temp? Placement?

Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, CA
recomended placement, indoor enclosure/juvenile sulcata, for the Humid Hide Boxes? Closer to the warm side of enclosure (keeping underside substrate moist)? Or closer to the cool side of enclosure (keeping substrate moist)?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
SInce the whole enclosure should be a minimum of 80 all the time, you can just put the humid hide wherever it is convenient.

I like ambient in a suclata enclosure to creep into the low 90s daily, so humid hide placement is not critical. For a temperate species with an open topped enclosure, I would suggest the warmer side.

Fresno, CA
Perfect!! Thank you!! I think my cool end of closed enclosure is too cool... area temp is only around 67ish... guess I need to add another CHE on a temp controller towards that side?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Perfect!! Thank you!! I think my cool end of closed enclosure is too cool... area temp is only around 67ish... guess I need to add another CHE on a temp controller towards that side?
67 is much too cool for a sulcata, especially with any humidity.

Adding another CHE will be an okay temporary fix, but all the electrically generated heat is going to dry everything out and make the pyramiding worse. What you really ned to do is build a large closed chamber and get the heating and lighting inside of it to maintain better, more stable conditions, and to greatly reduce the amount of electricity needed to maintain the correct temps.

Something like this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/

Fresno, CA
Just checked and currently the "cool side" is at 70deg and the "warm side" is at 80deg with 75%humidity.
I have a setup "similar" to the link you shared (thank you by the way)... do I just need to move my basking light or CHE more "centered"? Or okay where is?

Attachments

• IMG_8932.JPG
    IMG_8932.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_8933.JPG
    IMG_8933.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 82

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
What size CHE are you using? You could always get a larger wattage CHE or get a second CHE and have one on the far left, or in center. Either way, 70 degrees is too cold for the cool side. So, make some changes soonest!

Fresno, CA
What size CHE are you using? .... So, make some changes soonest!

I am using a 100w CHE on a thermostat to help regulate... and yup... I did see my "build" flaw :)... I have now changed it and moved the CHE closer to the center instead of far right (in front of and next to the bask bulb)... duh on my part!
I have a regulated temp now of 80deg on "cool" side, 90deg under basking area and about 75% humidity. The hide is located kinda in the middle area with a lot of moist bedding (sphagum moss)....
Charlie seems to really like to chill under the basking light on some flag stone.... ventures off to the "cool" side where the water is but still likes to hang out in summer land :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd move those heat lamp fixtures inside the enclosure and cover the holes in the top. Right now they are making a chimney effect and the majority of the heat they are producing is going up and into the room. You'd probably only need a 35-50 watt flood bulb to get the right basking temp, and the whole enclosure will be warmer. You can use the same CHE since the thermostat will turn it on or off as needed.

The CHE should be in the middle of the enclosure and put the thermostat's probe over on the cool side. In some large enclosure it is necessary to use two CHEs to spread the heat out.

Brendelwood

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA
Just checked and currently the "cool side" is at 70deg and the "warm side" is at 80deg with 75%humidity.
I have a setup "similar" to the link you shared (thank you by the way)... do I just need to move my basking light or CHE more "centered"? Or okay where is?
That's a great looking habitat you've got there!