Hoya @Yvonne

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
My sister and I have had an interest in a plant called a Hoya. They grow in the crooks of trees in Hawaii and Australia. They are very exotic and somewhat hard to keep. When I lived in Calif and drove truck I bought a mess of the very expensive plants from Hawaii. When I moved from Calif to Oregon I brought almost 50 of them with me. I baby them and fertilize them, and sing to them and use bottled water for them. My sister on the other hand, keeps hers outside and probably waters them once a month. They hang in the scalding sun with their collective tongues hanging out. Hers bloom like crazy, but she really doesn't care. I have never had a bloom, it's killing me.
So 15 years after I moved here I got blooms. They are kind of waxy...and strange lookin100_4049.JPG
and different colored
100_4045.JPG
so cool, I have 6 different blooms on 4 plants, I'm happy with that,
100_4041.JPG

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
What a gorgeous plant. I’ve never heard of them before and am curious to go read more about them now. Those blooms are beautiful, so I’m glad they finally blossomed for you!

Pointydog

West Virginia
The genus Hoya all have simi!at flower clusters and vining habit. I had many before a house fire, now just have one H. pubicalyx that was cutting from a plant that came from a cutting of my original plant...this is a good year, it's in a 6" pot and right now has 16 flower clusters, earlier in the spring it had 7 which finished. I particularly love the scent, (at night) and often I'll lick the nectar off the flowers too.
Keep it potbound and try ignoring it some, letting it get very dry between watering. Some are shy bloomers but once they start they usually continue non stop from there.
Congratulations on sticking with it long enough to get the first flowers!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Or is it #Yvonne
It's @Yvonne G but it doesn't work in the title, only in the body of the post. And for me it doesn't work anyway because I have my alerts turned off as I have to read every post and I was getting too many alerts.

Great news on the blooms. The flower in the first picture hadn't opened up yet, it was still in the bud stage. Hoya blooms are quite interesting. I think I have some pictures I took several years ago, but I don't want to steal your thunder. Good job on finally getting yours to bloom!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
It's @Yvonne G but it doesn't work in the title, only in the body of the post. And for me it doesn't work anyway because I have my alerts turned off as I have to read every post and I was getting too many alerts.

Great news on the blooms. The flower in the first picture hadn't opened up yet, it was still in the bud stage. Hoya blooms are quite interesting. I think I have some pictures I took several years ago, but I don't want to steal your thunder. Good job on finally getting yours to bloom!
Thanks, I needed a smile this morning