HOWDY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfeusner

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Louisville, KY
I'd like to introduce myself...My name is Brandon and my family is the owner of a sulcata tortoise that we helped rescue.

This is Charlie our sulcata tortoise...
180631_727505276814_38306787_38910516_2768126_n.jpg

We got Charlie from our local Feeder's Supply store where he/she had been dropped off by his previous owner. The manager of the fish/reptile department at the store had previously owned Sulcatas herself. She quickly noticed that Charlie's shell had some pyramiding and had been damaged. She also noticed that Charlie was a she and not a he. They kept Charlie in a nice area in the store break room and let Charlie run around the store regular occasions. The problem came when Charlie got curious and started trying to eat the drywall in the store room. They quickly began looking for a new home for Charlie and I immediately stepped up to take her. She is approx. 15" long and we were told she is likely 3 years old based on what the previous owner told Feeder's Supply.

We have had Charlie for nearly two months and are enjoying every minute it. Charlie regularly gets to move outside during the day and enjoys lots of tasty treats...
206601_796771132484_38306787_39135764_3595760_n.jpg

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
15" in three years? WOW! I will say her body looks large for her head in that first shot...and she does have a 'baby face'! Where do you live? Are you fenced-in? Charlie is definitely big enough to stay outside (if it's warm enough). Are you soaking her often (at least twice a week). You can't reverse the pyramiding (which isn't terrible), but you can keep it under control. Lotsa GREAT resources here...use 'em to your full advantage! Welcome to TFO!

bfeusner

5 Year Member
Louisville, KY
DeanS said:
15" in three years? WOW! I will say her body looks large for her head in that first shot...and she does have a 'baby face'! Where do you live? Are you fenced-in? Charlie is definitely big enough to stay outside (if it's warm enough). Are you soaking her often (at least twice a week). You can't reverse the pyramiding (which isn't terrible), but you can keep it under control. Lotsa GREAT resources here...use 'em to your full advantage! Welcome to TFO!

Yes she is a pretty big tortoise and I just measured her again and the over the curve standard length of her shell measured right at 15" and her standard straightline length is 13.5". The over the curve width of her shell measured 16" and her straightline width is nearly 11". I do not currently have a weight on her though.

Here is another picture of me holding her a couple weeks ago to show you how big she is...
199356_735159362964_38306787_39008519_2645432_n.jpg

We live in Louisville, Kentucky and are finally getting warm weather 65-70+ and are planning on moving her outside in the very near future. Our entire yard in not fenced in but we are going to make Charlie at least a 15'x15' or large area at this time that will have concrete block walls built at least 16" high. We have been soaking her once a week as that is what the lady at Feeder's Supply that previously owned Sulcatas told us to do. She does enjoy being soaked and LOVES going outside when it is warm enough. I do know that we can't fix the pyramiding but hopefully we can keep it from getting any worse.

We currently house Charlie in a very large deck box in the house. We modified the deck box to include both UVB lighting and a heat lamp and keep the air temp at approx. 83+ at all times except at night when we let it drop to the mid-70's. The humidity is normally in the 30-40% range...is this too high? We also have a Kane Mfg heating pad in her house and regularly allow her to come out and wonder around the house.

Any ideas on what could have caused the shell damage on the front of her shell. You can see this in both of the photos above. Is there any way to correct that?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Brandon:

Welcome to the forum!!

The scarring will go away after a while, but it takes a very long time. What you see is dead bone. New keratin and bone will grow UNDER that dead bone and eventually the white (dead bone) will flake off. Depending upon how quickly she grows, it may take a year or more.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
welcome, thanks for the pictures!
its a beauty, all tho yes the head looks small for the shell!
its okay tho, still aw awesome and beautiful

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
welcome! very unique with the small looking head.

Status
Not open for further replies.