How to shine shells

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigguys4

5 Year Member
OKay another question , again all my guys are saves and came to me with pyramiding all ready in place so I can't do anything about that . But I noticed everyone on here there sulcatas shells ate so shiny which shows off the color . What can I put on their shells ?

Jacob

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Vitashell, or green olive oil on the new growth lines to lubricate.

lisalove

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I've used both Vitashell and olive oil. They both work well when used in moderation.
A little word of caution-sometimes olive oil can attract ants. Substrate also sticks to olive oil more than Vitashell.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I would not be concerned with a shinny shell, and most of the time all you see on the tortoises is water. The photo's are taken right after a soak or after the tortoise has been sprayed with water.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Vitashell will do what you want. If you use it and the tortoise spends any time outside, watch out for ants.

Katherine

5 Year Member
I don't put anything on my tortoises shells, the older ones are kind of scuffed up and duller looking but like someone mentioned the younger ones (on the rare occasion they are clean) look shiny when wet from a soak or spray. I don't think you need to use any products on their shells (I don't think they moisturize eachother in the wild ;) ) but if you are really wanting to see a shiny shell some warm water should do the trick. Most tortoises are happy to be filthy!

tortoiselady

5 Year Member
S. CA
Warm water and keep it natural - we love them no matter what they look like - same thing with my husband, love him anyway (lol).

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Of the 9 months i have had my sulcata I have only lubricated his shell 3-4 times.
Just try to use in moderation..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Patty:

The reason you see such clean, shiney tortoises in our pictures is because we usually take care to clean the tortoise and keep it wet for the pictures. Its only a water, and in my opinion, that's the best thing to do. You can gently scrub with a soft bristle brush with just plain water.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Occasionaly I'll use a bit of vitamin E skin oil DURING a soak, and use a soft brush to scrub away any excess while rinsing under running water. it seems to keep the growth lines light and moisturized quite a bit longer, which from my understanding, really helps stop that pyramiding.

bigguys4

5 Year Member
Thanks every one a soft brush and water will try it this weekend

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Coconut oil........

Been doing it for years........For all the Tortoises that I bring to shows or to the general public.......

steven

5 Year Member
I use olive oil, but I keep mine inside for right now. I do it about once a month or so, and like said, will polish off any excess. They are VERY photogenic once polished :)

cmosuna

5 Year Member
Stanton, CA
Most people will use olive oil to get the great photos. Just keep em clean with water. For the big guys I have a big brush used for washing cars. And baby toothbrushes for the littler guys

bigguys4

5 Year Member
Ya I put them in their soaking tube and scrubbed them really well and they do look better. I soak them once a week but didnt ever brush their shells just hosed them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.