How to sell or donate a tortoise

CharlotteNC

Location (City and/or State)
Charlotte
Hi, my son has a tortoise that he’s lost interest in. No idea how old this thing is. We’re in NC where it’s apparently illegal to sell them. Should I let it go in the woods, or is there a better way to find a good home for it? Thanks in advance, I’m kind of at a loss on what to do.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We were told it’s an Afghan tortoise
This is what we commonly call a Russian tortoise. AKA: Steppe tortoise, afghan tortoise, or horsfield tortoise. The Latin name is Testudo horsfeildii.

This is not a native species to your area and should NEVER be released into the wild. That could cause an environmental disaster if it introduces a foreign pathogen into the native environment.

You can put it on Craig's list, your neighborhood FB page, or you can leave flyers at pet stores or vets offices. You can usually give it to a local pet store too. It is not illegal to sell tortoises in NC. It might be illegal to sell some of the native species, but not these. These can be found in pet shops for sale near you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is a Russian tortoise. It shouldn't be illegal to sell or rehome.
Do not let it go!!!
Never let go an animal/reptile that has been taken care of like a pet, that's cruel and likely illegal.
You can rehome him on this forum, place a thread in the adoption section. If you want to sell him, you would have to find another place to do that. We have rules to meet before selling on this forum.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi it looks like a Russian tortoise. It can not be released in woods as they have specific needs and habitat requirements. Please can you search if there is a reptile shop in your neighbourhood that would take it. I am in UK and a shop will accept but pay no money, hopefully you can find similar or a reptile rescue. Do you know where you got it from as they may be worth contacting.
I just googled Charlotte reptile shops and found 3 easily....

Last Place On Earth Petshop

5655 N Tryon St, Charlotte, NC 28213, United States
+1 704-596-4214 https://g.co/kgs/SRxc3j

Cold Blooded & Bizarre

3000 Central Ave # 8, Charlotte, NC 28205, United States
+1 704-312-0320 https://g.co/kgs/kwkAGm

They will be able to advise and hopefully find a happy home for your tortoise.

Last edited:

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Please do not ever release an animal outside - its a horrible death in store for them. You can try Craigslist, the adoption forum on here, or even bring to your local shelter

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thank you all! Will not release it, good advice from you all on that idea. @Sarah2020 thank you for researching shops near me, I’ll give them a call.
Thank you for caring enough to come here.and ask....
And then taking the advice.

And I agree. Releasing a non native tortoise is actually illegal and selling or rehoming a pet tortoise is perfectly legal in North Carolina.
So it's just the opposite

Last edited:

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
You can sell turtles over 4" in NC. Nothing under. Place ads to find a new home for this tortoise. I am in Greensboro NC so I know about the 4" law. Good for you to come on this forum and ask,

Gaylord75

Rancho Cucamonga
Hi, my son has a tortoise that he’s lost interest in. No idea how old this thing is. We’re in NC where it’s apparently illegal to sell them. Should I let it go in the woods, or is there a better way to find a good home for it? Thanks in advance, I’m kind of at a loss on what to do.
i can take it, if u can sumhow send it to california… city of rancho cucamonga. we love tortoises! i have a desert tortoise and 2 sulcatas

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can sell turtles over 4" in NC. Nothing under. Place ads to find a new home for this tortoise. I am in Greensboro NC so I know about the 4" law. Good for you to come on this forum and ask,
Is that a law specific to NC? Because the 4 inch law is federal, and it has an exemption for "hobby breeders". It was meant only for commercial hatcheries. Some states have their own 4" laws that differ from the federal law. I was not aware the NC had one of these laws other than the federal one.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
Is that a law specific to NC? Because the 4 inch law is federal, and it has an exemption for "hobby breeders". It was meant only for commercial hatcheries. Some states have their own 4" laws that differ from the federal law. I was not aware the NC had one of these laws other than the federal one.
I don't know. I have only recently seen two Russian tortoises for sale at a PetCo besides that in all my 30 years living here I have never seen tortoises of any size for sale at any stores.