How to prove gender

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How old is it? It takes years, 4-5 sometimes more. Unless it's a male and flashes you, then you just have to wait until it's old enough for all the little signs to be there. Tail, anal scutes, etc.
One other way is by a vet that will do an expensive medical scoping.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If the male flashes its penis, then you can be sure.

In mature animals the difference is very obvious and easy to tell. Males have much larger tails, concave plastrons, and the anal scutes form a wide "V" where the anal scutes on a mature female form a "U" shape.

Hey Tom, thanks for the information. I have only heard about the v and the u. Most of the time folks say the bottom is flat or concave. My tortoise is supposedly 7-8 years old. I have sent pics to one lady who says it's a female, but, from what I can tell it's a male going by the "v". I just don't want two males because I was told they would fight.

Alaskamike

South Florida
How much does your tortoise weight ? I have a 9 lb sulcata that has flashed and removed all doubt :)

If you post photos of the tail , and plastron shot showing the anal area Someone can make a good guess

I took on a 40 lb 8 yo sully that the owners thought was female , but the 1st time I had a buddy hold him up so I could wash his plastron and examine him he showed me plainly they were mistaken :)

By the age your is - it should be clear
Cheers