How to prevent pyramiding?????

eva1443

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399085677.630364.jpg

Hello guys!! Thats my marginated tort!!! I love her.... But can anybody answer this question??? How to prevent puramiding?

guille24

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
wisconsin
That tortoise doesn't look like a marinated tortoise to me , but I'll let the experts i.d the tortoise and give you advise on how to prevent pyramiding .

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
It looks to me like an Egyptian tortoise but not sure , I'm scratching my head on this one .

eva1443

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399088267.196062.jpg

They told me that she is a marginated tort!!! I dont know huhu :3

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry, but @Yvonne G isn't well-versed on the Testudo species. If you say its marginated, I'm not the one to dispute it.

But as to the pyramiding issue, its the same for all baby tortoises and what you read in the "how to prevent pyramiding" thread in the Sulcata section. Moisture, moisture, moisture!!!

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Lol @Yvonne G you are like my biggest role model I want to be as good as you one day and learn as much about tortoises as possible , you were the first to come to my mind , thank you :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You should exchange my name in your mind for that of HermanniChris. He's my go to guy for the Testudo species.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
This is definitely a Marginated tortoise, @guille24, in fact it looks like a textbook Margie. If you turn it over, you will see the triangular chevron marks on its belly. :) This is still a juvenile, so the 'flare' in the back marginal scutes hasn't happened yet.

As far as preventing pyramiding, this tortoise looks like it has already been started well. Providing natural sunlight is key. Any day it is warmer than 60 degrees F (16 degrees C) out, you can take him outside. If you can build an outdoor enclosure, he will be very thankful. :) Providing artificial UVB light during the cold months, feeding a wide variety of healthy greens (The Tortoise Table website is a good resource), and providing calcium (cuttlefish bone!) is important. My baby Marginateds also have a hot humid hide (read @Tom 's threads about raising leopard tortoises as well as his thread about raising Russian tortoises... they are pinned at the top of the RT forum area and the Leo forum area). Misting the shell a few times daily is a good idea. :) A healthy tortoise results from a combination of many factors!

:)

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
This is definitely a Marginated tortoise, @guille24, in fact it looks like a textbook Margie. If you turn it over, you will see the triangular chevron marks on its belly. :) This is still a juvenile, so the 'flare' in the back marginal scutes hasn't happened yet.

As far as preventing pyramiding, this tortoise looks like it has already been started well. Providing natural sunlight is key. Any day it is warmer than 60 degrees F (16 degrees C) out, you can take him outside. If you can build an outdoor enclosure, he will be very thankful. :) Providing artificial UVB light during the cold months, feeding a wide variety of healthy greens (The Tortoise Table website is a good resource), and providing calcium (cuttlefish bone!) is important. My baby Marginateds also have a hot humid hide (read @Tom 's threads about raising leopard tortoises as well as his thread about raising Russian tortoises... they are pinned at the top of the RT forum area and the Leo forum area). Misting the shell a few times daily is a good idea. :) A healthy tortoise results from a combination of many factors!

:)
Thank you !!! This was very helpful ! I always learn something new in this forum :D

eva1443

Thank you very much biochemnerd (i hate biochem as a history lover and ancient cultures lover lol huhu)

I have never tried cuttlebone on my tort.. But my turtle hates it for sure!! Thank you very very much you really helped me :D

yillt

I agree she does not look anything like my marginated tort.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Pyramiding can be avoided completely by not keeping your tortoise dry or hot all the time as well as following some basic dietary guidelines. The most common mistake that inexperienced owners make is keeping their tortoises too dry and consistently too hot for long periods. Marginateds along with all other Northern Mediterranean Testudo species are accustomed to seasonal weather changes, cooler nights and true brumation (hibernation) in most areas of their natural range. This should be no different in captivity. Most tortoise species have evolved over hundreds of thousands of years to survive very healthy on a generally poor nutritional diet with only seasonal access to very vitamin rich foods. Their diet is typically very high in fiber, with enough vitamin A, D & E to sustain them. Minerals, especially calcium are present also. In captivity many tortoises are fed a diet far too rich in vitamins and minerals than their bodies are designed to process. The correct levels (or lack of) these main factors; moisture & humidity, correct temperatures and correct diet content are what determines a young tortoises growth rate and appearance. They also determine an older tortoises overall health and activities. Other minor factors in captivity such as activity space and overcrowding also play a role to a lesser extent.