How to keep enclosure humid?

ayrgrn

Location (City and/or State)
UK
This is my current enclosure for my 8 month old hermanns and need some advice on how to keep it more humid, it's currently around 50-60% and I think my tort is starting to pyramid.
Snapchat-812752014.jpg thanks

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
You need to enclose the enclosure. You can’t keep large amounts of humidity with an open top.

Try covering the top with tin foil or plastic wrap, or creating a frame and draping a shower curtain over it. You likely won’t have to enclose the entire enclosure, though, seeing as this species is more tolerant of low humidity.

Last edited:

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
This is my current enclosure for my 8 month old hermanns and need some advice on how to keep it more humid, it's currently around 50-60% and I think my tort is starting to pyramid.
View attachment 268085 thanks

Personally, I spray Oli's enclosure with water, daily.

Any pics of your tort?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I haven't given the Hermann's care sheet an in depth read, and I don't keep that species, so I can only speak generically. I think that amount of humidity is ok for your species, but re-read the care sheet to make sure I'm telling you correctly. The mediterranean species of tortoises don't pyramid as easily as those that live in or close to the dessert or rain forests. I really don't think pyramiding should be a worry to you with your Hermanns. Yes, I have seen some pretty misshapen russians, greeks and hermanns, but it had mostly to do with diet, UVB and generally overall poor care.

Just spritz his substrate, and maybe spritz water over the food when you feed him, soak him daily, feed a good diet with calcium and make sure he has a good UVB light, and you shouldn't have to worry about pyramiding.

ayrgrn

UK
I haven't given the Hermann's care sheet an in depth read, and I don't keep that species, so I can only speak generically. I think that amount of humidity is ok for your species, but re-read the care sheet to make sure I'm telling you correctly. The mediterranean species of tortoises don't pyramid as easily as those that live in or close to the dessert or rain forests. I really don't think pyramiding should be a worry to you with your Hermanns. Yes, I have seen some pretty misshapen russians, greeks and hermanns, but it had mostly to do with diet, UVB and generally overall poor care.

Just spritz his substrate, and maybe spritz water over the food when you feed him, soak him daily, feed a good diet with calcium and make sure he has a good UVB light, and you shouldn't have to worry about pyramiding.
Okay thanks Yvonne, I just thought that all baby torts needed 70%+ humidity. I find it very hard to find weeds where I live but have just managed to plant some clover, catgrass and dandelions indoors so that should be a big help. He has been raised on a leafy salad mix with some weeds (as much as I could find) and a 100w Arcadia MVB so that could be the problem. I am trying to save my money for a 12% T8 uvb, reflector and controller as well as a basking flood bulb and a thermostat. Seeing as it's nearly summer now in the UK I shouldn't need to keep him under the MVB that much. I was also thinking of making my own lid such as this:
k9hm5z.jpg
But I guess I can only do this when I have the separate uvb tube and basking flood bulb.

Personally, I spray Oli's enclosure with water, daily.

Any pics of your tort?
Yes, I have also been spraying his enclosure everyday.
Here are some photos!
IMG_20190324_092240_Bokeh.jpg IMG_20190324_092130_Bokeh.jpg
I'm just a bit worried because to me, that looks like the start of some pyramiding. I have also been informed by others that it is as well which has got my nerves up!
Anyways, thanks for the replies :)

e-roth

Gray
View attachment 268085 thanks

Your current methods seem fine. Micro-climates are the way to go. Look at videos offered on Garden State Tortoise and Arizona Tortoise Company. The prefer fairly low air humidity but early morning misting mimics the fog effects where they live. The higher humidity and temperature variations are based on soil moisture and where you've placed your basking lights. Long filament sphagnum moss in the hide is good. Make the basking end dryer and hotter. The other end has the hide and the microclimate higher humidity. Depending on your location, the same ideas are true for outdoor pens. Enclosing the indoor pen is probably a bad idea that increase humidity of everything and risks respiratory problems. Again, look at how some of the true experts keep their favorite breeding animals.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Okay thanks Yvonne, I just thought that all baby torts needed 70%+ humidity. I find it very hard to find weeds where I live but have just managed to plant some clover, catgrass and dandelions indoors so that should be a big help. He has been raised on a leafy salad mix with some weeds (as much as I could find) and a 100w Arcadia MVB so that could be the problem. I am trying to save my money for a 12% T8 uvb, reflector and controller as well as a basking flood bulb and a thermostat. Seeing as it's nearly summer now in the UK I shouldn't need to keep him under the MVB that much. I was also thinking of making my own lid such as this:
View attachment 268097
But I guess I can only do this when I have the separate uvb tube and basking flood bulb.

Yes, I have also been spraying his enclosure everyday.
Here are some photos!
View attachment 268098 View attachment 268099
I'm just a bit worried because to me, that looks like the start of some pyramiding. I have also been informed by others that it is as well which has got my nerves up!
Anyways, thanks for the replies :)
Don't worry, my dear friend. It's nothing that serious.