How to house a Mississippi Map Turtle with African Cichlids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErikaHeartsTurtles

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I saw this on youtube:
http://m.youtube.com/#/profile?user=kydt86&v=Md3bp1QPOmc&view=videos
and now i want to do it!
I have a Mississippi map turtle who is 3-4 inches, and needs a bigger tank.
We THINK its a she.
My parents own a 50 gal tank with 4 African cichlids that are about 1 and a half-2 inches.
I would probably have to wait until the cichlids get bigger so my turtle doesn't eat them. What should the size proportion be? Another thing is, should i buy another turtle so my other one can have a buddy?
I think that's it, but tell me anything else that you think i should know.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi ErikaHeartsTurtles:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like for us to call you?

Also, when we know approximately where you are, it helps us design our answers to better fit your questions.

The link didn't work for me, so I don't know what you're talking about. But slow-swimming fish and turtles usually don't work in the same tank. Your turtle can get along just fine without a companion, but he would also probably get along with a companion, so that is totally up to you and up to how much/often you feel like cleaning the tank.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
The link didnt work for me either.. I think it would be hit or miss doing that. I know I have 4 Jack Dempsey's and they are pretty aggressive and anything new that goes in the tank gets attacked so we stop trying.

I won't say it won't and can't work but just be prepared if things don't go the way you hope...

Sorry forgot to say hello and welcome to the forum...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Welcome:D. I wouldn't recommend it. Cichlids are very aggressive and dirty fish. In a VERY LARGE aquarium with excellent filtration and large amount of space it probably would work. However any aquarium under 2 or even 3 hundred gallons and not heavily stocked with cichlids I wouldn't attempt. It can be done, as public aquariums do it, however they have larger aquariums and filtration then the average home can handle. If you decide to do it, plan on cleaning/water changes the tank at least every week if not more. My 60 gal. Cichlid only tank had to be cleaned/water changes every 2 weeks, sometimes more. Also be prepared to housing the turtle by himself, if or when it doesn't work.:D

ErikaHeartsTurtles

5 Year Member
Florida
wellington said:
Welcome:D. I wouldn't recommend it. Cichlids are very aggressive and dirty fish. In a VERY LARGE aquarium with excellent filtration and large amount of space it probably would work. However any aquarium under 2 or even 3 hundred gallons and not heavily stocked with cichlids I wouldn't attempt. It can be done, as public aquariums do it, however they have larger aquariums and filtration then the average home can handle. If you decide to do it, plan on cleaning/water changes the tank at least every week if not more. My 60 gal. Cichlid only tank had to be cleaned/water changes every 2 weeks, sometimes more. Also be prepared to housing the turtle by himself, if or when it doesn't work.:D

Thanks! I guess i wont do it. My main reason for wanting to do this was not having to purchase a new tank. She's in a 10 gallon tank. Will a 20 gallon house her for the rest of her life? I want her to be happy, but i didn't realize how expensive shed be!

ErikaHeartsTurtles

5 Year Member
Florida
The main reason i wanted to put the turtle in with the cichlids so i wouldn't have to buy a larger tank(Shes in a 10 gal tank). Here's an idea i had:

This is going to sound crazy.
I had an idea for a cheap turtle habitat.
Keep in mind that I'm a young teenager;my ideas aren't always plausible.
I heard keeping turtles in plastic tubs are a whole lot cheaper.
I couldn't find one tub that was large enough, but i do have two large, clear plastic tubs.
One is between 10-15 gallons, the other around 15-20 gallons.
I could connect the two by either by making an above the tank basking area in the middle of the two tubs with a ramp to either side, OR simply cutting a hole in each and using a pvc tube as a tunnel to connect them.
All i would need to buy a heater for each side(i already have one heater so i only need to buy 1 more), a filter for each side, (already have 1 so i only need to buy 1), and either a pvc tube or materials to make the basking area.
Pros: Cheaper, bigger
Cons: Harder to clean, not as visually attractive.
What do you think? Ideas?
I'm sorry if its hard for you to imagine what it would look like.
Thanks for reading this!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Erika:

All of your posts worked. There's no need for duplicating any of them. We (the mods) hold new members' first 5 posts for approval in order to keep the spammers out.

I'm not a water turtle/aquarium expert, so I'll defer to other more experienced keepers.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your idea for connecting two totes together is not a bad idea at all. The cons of your second way of doing it, is leaks. You would have to of course use silicone to seal the hole you put the tube through. I have made a pond filter out of a plastic tub. I had to silicone a hole where the output tube was going. It leaked all the time. Your first idea would work better, as long as you could make sure he couldn't get off the ramp, down onto the floor. You also could go to home depot or stores like it and get a big 50 gal. Tub and that should work for a long, long time also. They are around 30.00 or so. Another idea, if you have the room, are the plastic kiddy pools. They work great also.

wellington said:
Your idea for connecting two totes together is not a bad idea at all. The cons of your second way of doing it, is leaks. You would have to of course use silicone to seal the hole you put the tube through. I have made a pond filter out of a plastic tub. I had to silicone a hole where the output tube was going. It leaked all the time. Your first idea would work better, as long as you could make sure he couldn't get off the ramp, down onto the floor. You also could go to home depot or stores like it and get a big 50 gal. Tub and that should work for a long, long time also. They are around 30.00 or so. Another idea, if you have the room, are the plastic kiddy pools. They work great also.

I forgot to answer your question about a 20 gal. Large enough for life. The answer is no. You will need for adulthood 70-90 gal. for a male and larger 100-120 gal. for a female. Males get up to 5 inches, females 10 inches. That is the larger end of their size scale. 3 and 6 is the smaller end.

ErikaHeartsTurtles

5 Year Member
Florida
Oh, my! I am so sorry for posting so many times. I thought my post wasn't going through becaause i didn't see it right away.
As for the kiddy pool, my dog would get into that. And i don't have the room for it. Lol!
I'm probably going to go with the two tubs idea. I haven't had my turtle for two weeks and I'm already planning her new home! Lol.:)
I am so happy with this forum so far!
I'll be posting pictures of her soon as i find my camera.:D

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
If you check Petco they are having a sale 1 buck per gallon, I just got a 55 gallon for my 2 little painted turtles.

A 30 gallon or 40 gallon breeder would work great.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
keep you eye on craigs list.. but make sure its not a leaky tank.. Plastic pond forms work well if you can keep your dog out.. place it up on a sturdy counter or table or hardware cloth cover for it.. they also sell those used on Craigs list a lot..

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
ErikaHeartsTurtles said:
Thanks, but that's still expensive for me. :p

I hear you, I actually just got lucky and found a 30 gallon tank and lid at the curb ready for trash, it looked like heck, but with some CLR and some elbow grease it came out clean and my daughters guppies are very happy now.

Of course your turtle don't care where or what it's home was or is as long as it has warmth, basking and food so tubs should work great and I like the bridge idea for basking between them. Plenty of people use tubs for turtles and tortoises, they don't have to be clear, so you can also check walmart for the biggest/cheapest tub you can find.

ErikaHeartsTurtles

5 Year Member
Florida
Thanks guys. I'll get to work on trying my idea with the tubs, and if it works out I'll post pictures. :)

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
I would ask for a bigger tank next birthday or somthing. 20 gallons is just not fair to the turtle. if you cant afford 40 dollars for a tank now, how do you expect to pay a vet if you tort gets sick? always have a little savings set aside for upgrades or sickness. tommrow your 20 gallon tank could spring a leak.... you could even ask your parents for a loan and do extra chores to get your turtle a 40 gallon breeder tank of even better. IMO its be worth it to me no just my turtle to give him more room.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
I would not suggest housing the Cichlids and the Map Turtle together for many reasons. The main ones being the Map is sub tropical/warm temperate where as the Cichlids are tropical. If the Cichlids you are Lake Malawi Cichlids they require high pH, and hardness as well as carbonate hardness at a fairly high level. The also do best with a salinity of about 6ppt.

The Cichlids are not in themselves "dirty" but they are very sensitive to matabilites (not sure if I spelled that correctly) which is why they need frequent water changes I usually recomend about 50% once a week. I do the same for my turtles also. Though if you wanted to keep fish with turtles they should be of the same origin. For example Lake Malawis with an African Mud Turtle, or in your case Green Sunfish (also aggresive and willing to defend itself) and the Miss. Map Turtle.

Status
Not open for further replies.