How to get my Morty to chew on his cuttle bone?

aprilbodnar

I have had Morty for a week now and he has yet to even touch his cuttle bone. Was there something I could do to make him realize it is for him to chew on?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Your tortoise will choose when he needs it. Sometimes it's never and sometimes the cuttlebone is there one day and half gone the next. I think of cuttlebones as a calcium insurance policy- it's good to have just in case even if they don't use it. It's cheap and won't harm anything if you leave it in there 24/7. It took a few months until I saw gnaw marks on the first ones I had in my tortoise enclosure.

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I have had my sulcatas for almost a year, and I have only seen one of them chewing on it once.

But yes, it is a good calcium insurance policy [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH] I don't think mine touched theirs for about 3 months when I first got them. Then the next day there was an entire chunk missing [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

LABZOO

Threw one in the other day and he went straight for it. I had just finished the first phase of his new enclosure and put him in it just for fun, tossed him the cuttle and within minutes heard the crunch...he loves the crunch :). Although I think he was quite deficient when I got him a few weeks ago. I also used a small amount of mashed papaya with a good spoon of repti cal, mixed with grass and hay clipping topped with a few crumbles of cuttle to give him a much needed dose of ca. He loved it and has been much more active lately.

Attachments

• 1394745378770.jpg
    1394745378770.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 35

Zxsong

Pasadena, CA.
They will go for it when they feel the need for it[WHITE SMILING FACE]️ tortoises are usually good at eating things they need when they need it. My sully ate half a one one day then left the rest alone for about a month.