How sensitive are stars????

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtleescape

10 Year Member!
I have wanted to work with stars for years. After reading a few books and care sheets there is allot of conflicting information regarding there difficulty. I am in northern Ohio so they would have to be indoors for a large part of the year. Can anyone give me there opinion on how difficult they really are to keep? thanks for your help

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi turtleescape:

I can't answer your question, I just wanted to...

468871fsj3ofc85v.gif

you to the forum!!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
turtleescape said:
I have wanted to work with stars for years. After reading a few books and care sheets there is allot of conflicting information regarding there difficulty. I am in northern Ohio so they would have to be indoors for a large part of the year. Can anyone give me there opinion on how difficult they really are to keep? thanks for your help

Hi ( what's your name? )..

I've found as long as the temps are up - mid to hi 80's min. - it doesn't matter the humidity!

See the Species Profile on this page.. http://www.turtletary.com/stars.html

Terry K

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I'm new to Stars, but I've been doing a lot of research - including extensive talks with my vet. From what I understand, they are known to be difficult to care for based on the fact that many of the originals were wild caught - sick and stressed by the time they got here. Because of this, they got a reputation for being difficult. I'm told that as long as you get a captive bred Star, they are no more sensitive than other tortoises. I'm also told that they definitely shouldn't be mixed with any other species (like all torts, but even more so with Stars.) Like I said, I'm new to them, but so far they are doing great and I've had no trouble. Good luck! :)

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
stars are just like any other tortoise you need the right conditions for them to thrive in.

turtleescape

10 Year Member!
Redfoot NERD said:
turtleescape said:

Hi ( what's your name? )..

I've found as long as the temps are up - mid to hi 80's min. - it doesn't matter the humidity!

See the Species Profile on this page.. http://www.turtletary.com/stars.html

Terry K

Humidity is one of my big concerns. The room they would be housed in during the winter is my "turtle room" I have a few large 125 gallon tanks in the room so the humidity stays around 50-60%. I can heat the star tank with a ceramic element and a t-stat so the humidity would be lower in the tortoises tank/tub.
thanks, Bob

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I keep mine on 50/50 coconut coir and sand. I keep a saucer of water in the enclosure as well so they can soak when they want. I also keep a half clay pot that I pour water on every day to keep the humidity up. I keep half of the enclosure covered as well. Again, I am new to Stars, so please take what I'm doing with a grain of salt because I'm not an expert!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Has anyone read the Species Profile as suggested?

I've kept them since '04...

Terry K

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
Jerry fife has written a book on stars that is good. Check out startortoises.net is good too!

turtleescape

10 Year Member!
jobeanator said:
Jerry fife has written a book on stars that is good. Check out startortoises.net is good too!

Thanks I ordered it yesterday. I decided to hold off ordering the tortoises till I read the book.

Homerist

10 Year Member!
hi turtleescape,

i'm new to the stars also, but after doing some extensive reading, i can say that temperature is so important. All the caresheets and experience owners can't stress it enough.

personally i come from a place similar to indian's climate, in fact my country has rather high humdity.
Temperature: 26 to 32 degrees Celsius
Relative Humidity: 60 to 90 percent

Something to share with you is that always offer a water source for your star and soak them daily, especially for hatchlings.

i went to a horrifying experience last night when my star was walking lethargically around his home, somewhat similar like a drunk man's walk. he was non responsive and that scares the **** out of me. :(

after some investigation and reflection, i realised that i haven't put the water dish back into his home and didn't soak him for 2 days! I was busy over the weekend cleaning up my house and preparing for the chinese festive season and it slipped off my mind. My poor tort was dehydrated and i know it when i place the water dish back, he sticked his head into the water and glup glup glup.......

after this drink up and soaking up later, he regain his old self and happily eating and walking and responding to my calls and "finger wave".
:rolleyes:
so remember,
clean water everyday
soak afew times a week
keep temperature constant

my two cents worth of advice.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
defently good idea ordering the book and knowing all you can about a star before buying. i cant stress that enough to anyone to know as much as you can!

Status
Not open for further replies.