How old till u cn tell the sex?? and can i see pic to compare... im sure hes to young

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Dakota
can you guys post pic on male vs female?? i would like to know what im looking for in the future when im trying to figure out sonne :) hes only 18 months old when can i start to tell what he/she is??

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
It more about there size than there age, you can have a small 2 year old and not be able to determine the sex yet and then you can have a large 2 year old and can clearly tell the sex. The tails are normally a indicator of sex, a short stubby tail tends to be a female and a thick long tail tends to be male. This however is not always the case, sometimes you wont know until you get flashed...

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
dalano73 said:
It more about there size than there age, you can have a small 2 year old and not be able to determine the sex yet and then you can have a large 2 year old and can clearly tell the sex. The tails are normally a indicator of sex, a short stubby tail tends to be a female and a thick long tail tends to be male. This however is not always the case, sometimes you wont know until you get flashed...

hmm well he (im think its a she lol) is about 1 pound? i will messure tonight how many inches.. how is the right way to go about taking measurments???? does any1 know the average size of a 2 year old (almost 2... will b 2 in may)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
After looking at the photo in your other thread I am going to say that yours is too small to sex right now. However if you post a photo of the bottom of the shell (plastron) then we can try and guess the sex.

To measure you tortoise, go from the front (gular scute) straight back to the rear (anal scute).

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
dalano73 said:
After looking at the photo in your other thread I am going to say that yours is too small to sex right now. However if you post a photo of the bottom of the shell (plastron) then we can try and guess the sex.

To measure you tortoise, go from the front (gular scute) straight back to the rear (anal scute).

heres some plastron pics.. whats your opinion on the size of him? i think he is kinda small?? for being almost 2? but i duno this is a first for me :) also i will have to post a few photos of a cple side scutes they are not the same as the other side? it is indented a lil it?? hard to say will post pics on a different thread :)

Attachments

• sonne2.jpg
    sonne2.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 59
  • sonne3.jpg
    sonne3.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 51

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I think it could go either way, but I am leaning more towards male than female. But in a year or so it could go the other way..

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
That size isn't far off for a 2 year old. Mine were about that size too then. When mine hit about 4 years old, they went on a growth spree and really gianed weight and size.

I'm leaning toward male because of the thick short tail and sharp V-notch in the rear plastron.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
The sex could definitely go either way at this point. It appears to me to be more like a female at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.