how often

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
You will get different answers for this, but I like to feed mine every other day - as much as they can eat in one sitting.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I feed mine daily. When it is warm they get a small meal and then several hours to graze outside, which they definitely do.

Kristina

M

Maggie Cummings

I don't understand not feeding them. I eat every day and I believe my tortoises want/need to eat daily as well. Just because they *can* go without eating doesn't mean they *have* to. All my animals eat every day. Cats fish birds.
Some people say that tortoises don't eat every day in the wild but I believe they do. They'd eat sticks rocks and their own poop it doesn't matter to them what it is they will eat daily in the wild.

kyryah said:
I feed mine daily. When it is warm they get a small meal and then several hours to graze outside, which they definitely do.

Kristina

Hey Kristina, didn't you used to keep Sulcata?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I feed my 3 russians daily

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Yup, Maggie, I did. I have had a couple people ask me about them so I will post a thread explaining ;)

Kristina

TortoisesRock!

5 Year Member
I feed Franklin once a day. I try to keep it around the same time every day. Now that it is nice outside I let him out to graze. I try to watch how much he eats outside so I can give a good guess as to how hungry he will be when he's in the house. Also, when I first got Franklin I would give him quite a helping of food and he leaves it once he's full, this would help me know how much to feed him in the future!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My Russian tortoises live outside and I don't feed them at all. However, I see them out grazing every day. So if I didn't have graze for them, because they DO graze every day, I would feed them every day.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When I had them, I fed everyday and let them graze. My buddy feeds his every day too.

goodsmeagol

5 Year Member
Now we have done, 'how often do you feed..."

Now lets do, HOW MUCH...?

I was told 20 min meal once a day.
Like another post in food and diet, my guy is ALWAYS running to me when he sees me and stands on his food tile like he is starving.
(or annoyingly starts chewing chunks off his mother-in-law plant!)

I cave and give him a small meal when I get home from work 2 hours before lights out.
And he gets about 20 min worth of free feed before I go to work.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I usually just give my hatchling a small portion of lettuce. At this point I pretty much know how much he will eat at one time. He walks away when he has had enough to eat (usually there is nothing left though ;))
I've heard of the 20-minute rule but Nelson is a hatchling and eats very slowly! In 20-minutes he probably only eats one small leaf of lettuce :p

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Every day. I wouldn't want to see that sad little face as he stomps his feet on his slate tile! He gets a specific portion. Some days he leaves some, some days he eats it all plus begs for a bedtime snack. We track his weight so increase or decrease food a but based on how he is doing, but basically, because hes growing I don't want to deprive him. Needless to say he is chubby because he gains the weight and then grows.

Status
Not open for further replies.