How often do you feed flowers?

hoopytortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
I read that impatiens flowers are safe. I happen to grow those around my house every year. I also have squash flowers from my garden.

And curious if honeysuckle flowers are safe or not.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I read that impatiens flowers are safe. I happen to grow those around my house every year. I also have squash flowers from my garden.

And curious if honeysuckle flowers are safe or not.
I wouldn't feed anything thatcame from garden centers, too many chemicals used to keep their plants pretty and bug/disease free. Squash flowers are awesome for torts

Last edited:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I wouldn't feed anything thatcame from garden centers, too many chemicals used to keep their plants pretty and bug/disease free. Squash flowers are awesome for torts
When you say squash flowers, can that be pumpkin flowers? My torts love the pumpkin and the leaves too.
Also, in the "wild" I am sure they may come across some toxic plants? If so will they eat them, not knowing?

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
They are a treat for Speedy , simply because I don't have them available on a regular basis .

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
When you say squash flowers, can that be pumpkin flowers? My torts love the pumpkin and the leaves too.
Also, in the "wild" I am sure they may come across some toxic plants? If so will they eat them, not knowing?
there's a bit of a debate about thiis. In the wild where your tortoise has had thousands and thousands of generations of living there I have no doubt they know which plants are toxic and which are not, in your backyard I do not think the same applies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have about a dozen or so hibiscus plants I've lost one or two over the past two years they get flowers every day when in bloom none on days when they're not but they have a large variety of other leaves as well.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
there's a bit of a debate about thiis. In the wild where your tortoise has had thousands and thousands of generations of living there I have no doubt they know which plants are toxic and which are not, in your backyard I do not think the same applies.
Right. Got it!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I have about a dozen or so hibiscus plants I've lost one or two over the past two years they get flowers every day when in bloom none on days when they're not but they have a large variety of other leaves as well.
I've got a few hibiscus plants in my yard too, and I also have pumpkin, okra, chocho, pawpaw (papaya?) and lots of different grasses and weeds - clover in abundance, which they love, and a lot of something we call Spanish Needle which I am not sure about yet, but I know rabbits and guinea pigs do love it.

Prairie Mom

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica