How often can my Russian Tortoise eat rose petals/ leaves?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
If your tortoise is four inches he is not a year old; he is closer to three or four. Same goes as to his sex; you would not at all be able to distinguish at that age. Did you perhaps get him at a chain pet store? It is common for them to not know or misrepresent their age. It would also mean they sold you some things you didn't need and/or an enclosure that is way too small. I encourage you to browse the Russian subforum and read the care sheet pinned to the top.
I agree. I think Sapphire was around 4 or 5 MAYBE because he was around 5" when he arrived but still looked like a young teenager.. you can't believe what went on when he finally announced hay I'm a boy 🤣

ErikaSierra

Tucson
If your tortoise is four inches he is not a year old; he is closer to three or four. Same goes as to his sex; you would not at all be able to distinguish at that age. Did you perhaps get him at a chain pet store? It is common for them to not know or misrepresent their age. It would also mean they sold you some things you didn't need and/or an enclosure that is way too small. I encourage you to browse the Russian subforum and read the care sheet pinned to the top.
I agree! I knew he looked a bit older but i wasn’t quite sure how to tell :( thank you

ErikaSierra

Tucson
I agree! I knew he looked a bit older but i wasn’t quite sure how to tell :( thank you
I just distinguished his gender by the length of his tail because I heard females had a shorter tail while males have a longer tail tucked off to the side

ErikaSierra

Tucson
I agree. I think Sapphire was around 4 or 5 MAYBE because he was around 5" when he arrived but still looked like a young teenager.. you can't believe what went on when he finally announced hay I'm a boy 🤣
Aww so cute!! Mine is probably about four years old then! That’s so funny 😇

ErikaSierra

Tucson
I will definitely have to incorporate more veggies into his diet because he definitely lets me know of his preferences and won’t eat everything I put out for him :(
I wouldn't worry at all about three petals! I would worry if the majority of the diet is vegetables, the majority should be leafy greens of as many options you can provide. Collards alone definitely isn't enough.

ErikaSierra

Tucson
What's pretty nice is you know his acheles heel. So if you keep the petals as a treat and just sprinkle a few now and then strategically you can sneak what you choose into his diet. My Russian loves zucchini. No matter what is on it he'll devour a little chunk.😉
Good idea! 🤣 I’ll have to lure him in with the rose petals