How much ventilation should an indoor enclosure have ? For humidity.

Haz191

Location (City and/or State)
Derby
I have a red foot, 2 years old. I struggle to keep the humidity high, I think it’s due to my closed enclosure having 3 vents at the back.

Could someone suggest how many I should have ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a red foot, 2 years old. I struggle to keep the humidity high, I think it’s due to my closed enclosure having 3 vents at the back.

Only your hygrometer can answer this question.

Use some tape to cover up some of the venting until humidity climbs to where you want it.

What substrate are you using and how damp is it?

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
You will most likely have to cover them all and best results for substrate is fir bark. In form of reptibark or orchid bark potting media (not mix)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I do not currently use any indoors enclosures. But when I did, I only vented about once a week to ten days when there was too much condensation (to me) and my gage was pegged at 100%

Jackson7

Twin Cities MN
I'm also curious about how much air they need.
Am understanding what people are saying correctly; if I have a reasonably air tight enclosure that opening it up for feeding once or twice a day is enough air exchange that they wont suffocate?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm also curious about how much air they need.
Am understanding what people are saying correctly; if I have a reasonably air tight enclosure that opening it up for feeding once or twice a day is enough air exchange that they wont suffocate?
No enclosure is air tight. All enclosures, including closed chambers, have venting on them. How much venting is needed depends on many factors.

bpc

Ireland

How much venting is needed depends on many factors. Are you looking vents?