How much should I feed?

Missymoo11

Hi all -

My baby Willow is a 3 month old Hermann - I have only had her a day and she has surprised me as she has eaten quiet a lot already.

My question is how much should she be having a day? This morning she has had three small dandelion leaves, a small amount of budlija and two nemesis flower heads. (Picture att.)

Also there is conflicting info about how much calcium to give I have read it should be given every day but also 3 times a week? (She access to cuttle bone all the time).

Thanks in advance :) xx

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi and a very warm welcome to the forum.

Start by reading the "beginners thread" as well as different care sheets. These will certainly help you.

How about posting pics of your tort and its enclosure?

Missymoo11

Some more pictures x

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27

Missymoo11

Willow x

I am using a 10% uvb strip ( 30cm from substrate as per instructions) 60w heat bulb. Basking 33 & cool end 21-22.

Substrate is 100% coco coir

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18

ILoveTorts&Gerbils

@HermanniChris doesn't recommend using Coco Coir alone. I nearly made the same mistake.

Look at my "panicked owner" thread. He mentions it there.

I have a Hermann's too (a little younger than yours) so you'll probably see me popping around quite a lot. Do NOT be alarmed. I come in peace.

Missymoo11

Hia :) aww congrats on your little baby tort too!!

oh really I have been told by several people it's the best thing...I do have steralised top soil in her outdoor enclosure but don't really like it...had to sieve it!!! It's so difficult because everyone has their own way of doing things lol

Missymoo11

Hi and a very warm welcome to the forum.

Start by reading the "beginners thread" as well as different care sheets. These will certainly help you.

How about posting pics of your tort and its enclosure?

Hi - I have read care sheet but it doesn't say the quantity of food? Also it says to feed mazuri? I thought that was not good and only weeds & flowers should be fed?

FujiBaird

missymoo, I had the same question when I first got my hermanns. Some people say to feed a pile of food about the same size as the tortoise's shell, others say to feed food as a percentage of weight, etc. I personally would just give your tortoise a big pile of a variety nutritious greens (like you've been doing) for several days and observe how much your baby eats. Then you can cut back to the amount that actually gets eaten, or add more if you have a little piggy!

My tortoise really likes mazuri, and I personally don't see a problem with it as part of a tortoise diet heavy in weeds and leafy greens. What I like to do is use scissors to cut greens into thin strips, then toss the moistened mazuri into that, sort of like spaghetti marinara. :)