How much should Harry eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mnash0915

5 Year Member
Hi again!
My first posts were because I could not get Harry my new Russian to eat. Now I am concerned about how much he eats!!
Our original schedule was he would start to root around his dish around noon so I would give him a large bowl of mixed greens then and he would eat almost everything then and that was it. Then he started going to his dish and scratching at 10am and 2pm so I would feed him at those times. Now he is hungry at 8:30, noon, and usually around 5. I can tell by picking him up that he has gained some weight and he looks good. The funny thing is, if I don't feed him at those times and I him out to roam around the house he will start chewing on the kids toys so I know he is hungry.
My question is, should he be eating so much and so often? It is ok for him? It seems like I spend more time fixing his food than I do cooking for the kids :D. Honestly I don't mind I just want to make sure this is ok for him. And is there something that I could put I there for him to 'graze' on?
Thank you!!
Michelle

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Russian tortoises are opportunistic feeders. They are naturally programmed to consume large amounts of food when it's available because in the wild the best foods are only available for short periods of time. Many people cave in to their tortoises urges to constantly eat. It isn't always the best practice for the tortoise.

Most tortoises will do fine without problems as long as they are active enough. But those that are not as active can quickly and easily become obese. This extra fat will show up in their limbs and around their neck. It's simply a matter of closely monitoring your tortoise to keep them in shape. Feed them what they want, once a day. If they eat it and you feel they may need more, feed them a little more. If they walk away and leave food in their dish, cut back on the amount. Keep an eye on their weight and appearance and adjust their diet based on those factors also.

It's also not recommended to allow tortoises to roam around on the floor for a number of reasons. Them mistaking plastic parts and other things as food being one of the main reasons.

Mnash0915

5 Year Member
Thank you! Do you recommend just feeding him a large amount once a day at the same time every day and let that be it for the day?
Also, where should I let him roam for exercise?
Thanks again!!
Michelle

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
It is generally easiest to do one full meal once a day or so, at about the same time although there is nothing wrong with portioning the meal over a few servings during the day if you wish.

Exercise space should be built into the housing so it can safely roam when and where it wants. While it is possible to make a room or home safe enough, it would take some careful thought and work to do so- control drafts, offer good temps/lights/humidity, nothing it can try to eat that would hurt it, managing poo and urine, offering drinking water, good hides and shelters, etc.

Mnash0915

5 Year Member
Thank you
He seems to like his meals spread out during the day
I'm trying to get to the point where I feed him twice a day and that's it
It will be much easier to get him some extra exercise in the summer when we can take him outside but right now he can wonder in his enclosure but occasionally i let him walk around supervised in the kitchen for 30 min or so
Thanks again for all the help!
Michelle

Status
Not open for further replies.