How much pyramiding is normal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spider Woman

5 Year Member
I have only seen Sulcata's with pyramid shapes on their shells. I'm assuming some is normal? How do I know when my babies start to grow whats normal? I don't even know how your going to explain this in words, and if there is an old thread about it just point the way.

Thanks
Robin

TheCobbler

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
99% of experienced owners will agree that pyramiding isn't good. but if your little tort has some pyramiding don't worry. if you start having the correct husbandry practices his/her shell should level out as he/she gets older. I have the same problem with my tort MoMo. He had severe pyramiding when i got him, but it's slowly leveling off. Anyways, this is probably the most well known guide on the forum from TOM! Also, Good Luck!

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1RrGncxzd

Spider Woman

5 Year Member
Thanks, they don't yet, but I have just never seen one WITHOUT what I would consider pyramids, which I am assuming is the raising up of the shell in the little sections.

TheCobbler

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Spider Woman said:
Thanks, they don't yet, but I have just never seen one WITHOUT what I would consider pyramids, which I am assuming is the raising up of the shell in the little sections.

That's great then! Just keep moisture at good levels. You can check out the pyramiding on momo. Compare the smoothness of shell.

Attachments

• DSCF0137.JPG
    DSCF0137.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 57

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Pyramiding is A Sign Of MBD, And Can Be Caused By Poor Conditions, Such As Not Enough Humidity Diet Uvb Rays Etc!
Its Okay If It Has Slight Pyramiding, But You Do Wanna Worry If Its Over Excessive

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you look at the thread that Dean posted for you, you'll see pictures of smooth ones from hatching to over one year. Its a lot of pages to scan through, but you can see them grow from 35 gram hatchlings up to 600+gram yearlings. Happily, most of the baby and young tort pics are looking really good lately. Word is getting out about how to raise them smooth. Do a search for "Livingstone". That is another pretty smooth one with lots of pics here on the forum. Fernando has one named "Andy" and his looks great. There are lots of them. (Sorry for leaving anyone's name out. I just remember seeing lots of pics of those two.) The Cobbler posted the thread on how I like to raise them and prevent pyramiding in the first place.

You'll know pyramiding is starting on a young one when you start to see a dip in the margin between the scutes.

Spider Woman

5 Year Member
Thanks, I have started reading the thread, its just so long and i like to read it all. Don't have alot of extra time to read vs. working and taking care of all my animals, which none are lacking in that area!:D

TheCobbler said:
Spider Woman said:

That's great then! Just keep moisture at good levels. You can check out the pyramiding on momo. Compare the smoothness of shell.

So, looking at that pic (which is adorable) I would consider that just slight pyramiding. Would that be a correct statement? And that wouldn't be bad?

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Satellite Beach, Fl
my little guys are heavily pyramided... I got them that way... I'm doing my bes to get them on the right track. I too thought pyramiding was normal, until i got on this forum and learned more about them.
SNC00631.jpg

Spider Woman

5 Year Member
FranklinAndTara said:
my little guys are heavily pyramided... I got them that way... I'm doing my bes to get them on the right track. I too thought pyramiding was normal, until i got on this forum and learned more about them.
SNC00631.jpg

Ya, yours looks alot worse than the pic "thecobbler" posted, but their still cute!

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Satellite Beach, Fl
Spider Woman said:
FranklinAndTara said:
SNC00631.jpg

Ya, yours looks alot worse than the pic "thecobbler" posted, but their still cute!

oh i adore them! I say they're my accidental pets. the one on the right wandered into my garage. and after some research i found out a neighbor had some sulcatas... went to return Franklin and came home with Tara. She had been trying to find a home for them with no luck. They found me.. They're super fun. I learn something new everyday on this forum, its the best place for info. plus, with all these enthusiasts, everyone wants to see your torts and help you raise them correctly. its great.

Status
Not open for further replies.