How much is too much opuntia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holycow

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Homestead ,FL
Hello,
I'm no stranger to tortoises but I must admit to being a little detail obsessed over my new juv. aldabra. A lot of second guessing myself.
I know optuna cactus is quite nutritious (it's part of the daily diet of my redfoot, russian, and sulcatas) but should I be concerned about overfeeding to my 5"-6" aldabra? I have not tried it but I suspect if I put a huge pad in there the tort will just gorge on it and eat nothing else. Is there a serving size anyone can recommend ... like some percentage of body weight? Or am I over thinking this? My concerns are based on wanting to give the best diet possible as a good foundation for later in it's life, I'm certain proper nutrition in the first few years are really critical. So mentally I'm all over the place on this stuff. I have the urge to just take every food item put it together in a blender and feed that each day... but I can also think of good reasons not to.
Anyone, anyone Bueller?
-Jeff

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The biggest variety you can give is a good diet. I have read in a few threads that cactus 2-3 times a week. Everything in moderation.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I usually give cactus 4-5 times a week, but I never feed solely cactus, always a mix with 3-4 other things.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

Status
Not open for further replies.