how much food how often?

Status
Not open for further replies.

REXANNismyprettygirl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hey Everyone :D

So I am wondering what is the proper amount of food for Rexann? Right now I am feeding her a plate of greens and carrots in the morning and again at night with a little fruit added in. Our backyard is total desert landscape so she isnt grazing at all during the day. She doesnt finish 100% of her meal at either feeding.

I give her three large leaves (all torn up), a generous pinch of carrots, and just a few bits of fruit in the evening only.

Also, I will be planting grass for her when the seed packets arrive. I bought organic dirt today for planting them all in and she will have a little grassy patch for her grazing pleasure.

Thanks!
Trinity

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Limit the fruit. Once a day is probably too much. Once a week is more than enough, once a month is better.

I would back off on the carrots as well. A little bit is good, but not too much, and not every day. Leafy greens and hay, bermuda or orchard grass is great. The best place to get it is at a feed store. Horse hay is generally cleaner. You can soak it a bit or at least wet it to make it more appetizing in the beginning. Whole summer squashes go over VERY well ;)

I feed as much as they eat, to be honest. If she isn't cleaning it up, give a little less. Once you get to a place where she is leaving just a TEENY bit, that is where I would call it good ;)

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
California, central coast
I feed my juvie sully twice a day. As far as fruit goes, it's only given as a treat. The main diet should be greens and grasses. I feed mine 'spring mix' from the grocery store and mazuri 3x's a week mixed with the spring mix. I also pick weeds (from my lawn) to add to the mix as well. Some days he eats like a pig and other days he just picks at it......veggies I feed maybe once a week.

REXANNismyprettygirl

5 Year Member
Arizona
kyryah said:
Limit the fruit. Once a day is probably too much. Once a week is more than enough, once a month is better.

I would back off on the carrots as well. A little bit is good, but not too much, and not every day. Leafy greens and hay, bermuda or orchard grass is great. The best place to get it is at a feed store. Horse hay is generally cleaner. You can soak it a bit or at least wet it to make it more appetizing in the beginning. Whole summer squashes go over VERY well ;)

I feed as much as they eat, to be honest. If she isn't cleaning it up, give a little less. Once you get to a place where she is leaving just a TEENY bit, that is where I would call it good ;)

She absolutely snubs the orchard grass... is there a way to make it more appealing to her? Or do the different kinds taste different maybe? Not I think you have tried them... but you know :D

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
REXismyhandsomeboy said:
Not I think you have tried them... but you know :D

Well, actually... you would be surprised. But let's not go there... :p

Have you soaked it? Try warm water, just shy of boiling. I cut it up with a pair of scissors, put it in a bowl, heat the teakettle and pour the water over the grass, and then dump the water off right away. It softens it and brings out the aroma.

REXANNismyprettygirl

5 Year Member
Arizona
kyryah said:
REXismyhandsomeboy said:
Not I think you have tried them... but you know :D

Well, actually... you would be surprised. But let's not go there... :p

Have you soaked it? Try warm water, just shy of boiling. I cut it up with a pair of scissors, put it in a bowl, heat the teakettle and pour the water over the grass, and then dump the water off right away. It softens it and brings out the aroma.

I will try that today! Thank you!! :D

And if you ever have me over for dinner I am going to check my salad for orchard grass!! ;)

M

Maggie Cummings

Use squash as a treat, stop with the fruit it's bad for them. Their kidneys can't process sugar so you need to stop with the fruit.

REXANNismyprettygirl

5 Year Member
Arizona
maggie3fan said:
Use squash as a treat, stop with the fruit it's bad for them. Their kidneys can't process sugar so you need to stop with the fruit.

I have heard a lot about cactus fruit and watermellon... are these both bad as well?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You will see quite a few pictures of "squash-faced" and "melon-faced" sulcatas. That's not because they're fed a lot of squash and melon, its because they look so darned cute with that mess all over their faces. Actually those sulcatas are only fed squash and melon as an occasional treat. Not an every day treat either.

Status
Not open for further replies.