How much calcium a week?

Hallbomber

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
How much calcium supplementation is appropriate for my 3 year old leopards? Lately I supplement about twice a week. Thanks.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Less than a teaspoon but if it's female the tort may need a little more and if you feed cactus it's high in calcium so a little less . So you see that easy question isn't easy . But good luck

Reactions: Ida

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I add a pinch 2x a week. Alternating in winter with calcium with D3 every other time. My guys are inside all winter though. My large Female i give 1 extra day of just calcium.

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
I add a pinch 2x a week. Alternating in winter with calcium with D3 every other time. My guys are inside all winter though. My large Female i give 1 extra day of just calcium.
Me too, I don't really use powder w/ D3 at all during the summer because mine are outside quite a bit, but Oct to April, I alternate Ca+D3 powder with a tiny dusting of cuttle bone shavings(not every feeding, maybe twice a week). Neither of my leopards seem to knaw on cuttlebone by itself, whereas my redfoot will eat big hunks of it at a time as if it were regular food(which I don't let her do). Hopefully, this means they are getting sufficient calcium in their regular diet and that my redfoot is just a glutton (I'm pretty certain of the latter).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Generally a pinch twice a week is enough, but it does depend on diet, sex and age. More for egg producing females, more for growing babies, less for grown adult males, less for tortoises on a weedy diet with some succulents, more for tortoises eating primarily grocery store greens.

There is not a set scientifically tested amount that each tortoise should get. There are too many variables for that. What we are left with is sweeping generalities. In my experience a little pinch twice a week is not too much for any situation, and it is generally enough for most situations. I do 3-4 times a week for egg producing females.