How long will prickly pear keep in the fridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprinkles

5 Year Member
I normally feed my Leopards prickly pear right off the plant. They have become bored with it, so I ground it up in the food processor and mixed it in with their other food and they love it.
I wonder how long this will last in the fridge?

Leopards: Sprinkles and Sobe
Redfoot: Tory

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
Ground up sealed in a jar will last a long time. I just put the whole leaves in my fridge and they last at least a week to a week and a half and that does not include how long they have been at Kroger! I do know you can not freeze it!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They will last much better if left intact and somewhere outside with good airflow, but not in direct sun. Mine sit outside in 100+ degree weather all summer and can last for many months. The fridge makes them break down faster. No idea how long they will last after grinding them up.

This goes for the pads and the fruits.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ditto what Tom said. I used to put them in the frig and they don't last as long as just leaving them out as he mentioned. I even left some in the box they were shipped in and they started to grow new pads.

Sprinkles

5 Year Member
Thank you all for the info. I do have a bunch of plants growing in my yard (I live in CA). I wanted to change things up a bit for the little guys since they are going through a 'I hate that food now mom' phase. Tortoises are just like kids I swear! I think I will just grind a pad a day and feed it out to them directly and not save any at all. Thanks again!!

pspryu101

5 Year Member
Left Coast :)
Sprinkles said:
Thank you all for the info. I do have a bunch of plants growing in my yard (I live in CA). I wanted to change things up a bit for the little guys since they are going through a 'I hate that food now mom' phase. Tortoises are just like kids I swear! I think I will just grind a pad a day and feed it out to them directly and not save any at all. Thanks again!!

how do you manage to grow some in your yard? I live in CA too but idk how to go about growing my own supply

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Two things: Sprinkles, just remember that they say that not grinding and pureeing is sometimes better because the fiber is what tortoises need and grinding and pureeing breaks that down a lot more than needed. So maybe leave a pad intact and see if they will eat it that way. Helps file their beak also, I believe I read.

And, to plant, pspryu101, let a pad callous over in the shade, the bottom narrower area, for a few days, sometimes even weeks when people have forgotten about them, then plant in a sunny location, or in a pot with cactus mix (fast draining), patiently wait and almost in no time you will start to see growth. Very easy. In places where they grow or with mature plants you sometimes see pads that have fallen and been forgotten, take root. New plant. It's that easy. In California and the southwest at least. Do it! : )

DoubleR

5 Year Member
Anyone who is currently growing this have a photo of theirs? I'd like to plant this and a neighbor has what I think might be one. They'll gladly give me "cuttings" to start if I'd like.
Also what parts do you all feed?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Here's a link with good images ...

https://www.google.com/search?q=cac...-IHQDQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=507&dpr=1

You feed the pads and the fruit, the whole fruit. If you peel the outside of the fruit you can eat the fruit and give the outer portion to your tortoises. I cut it with kitchen scissors. The link above has good pictures. People can eat the nopales and can also eat the fruit known as prickly pear. Yummy. Healthy. I love getting foods that are good for tortoise and good for keeper. Some people eat nopales to control diabetic conditions. The fruit can be green, red, orange or yellow depending on variety. The genus is Opuntia and the USDA says there are 59 species. Most all are edible. Some have more spines than others. I have the spineless variety but it still has the little hairs called glochids. If you get those on your fingers or hands, rub your hands through your hair several times and it may remove them. Excellent food for tortoises, do plant some! : )

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have at least seven "varieties" of opuntia. It is good stuff and easy to grow in most of CA.

A couple of things to add to what BeeBee said: After waiting for the cut end to scar over for a couple of weeks, it is important that you plant it in DRY soil, dirt or cactus mix. Just pop about half to a third of the cut end into the dirt. I don't water mine for about a month after that, even in our hot summers. If you water too soon, the pads will often rot at ground level. Once they are good and established, I water about once a week in summer and not all all in winter. Mine barely grow at all in winter, but they go crazy in summer. I use thick rubber gloves and running water to remove glocchids, but an open flame works too.

Status
Not open for further replies.