How long to leave athlete’s foot cream on?

Cozy

Location (City and/or State)
San Francisco, CA
Hello,

I am currently treating a case of shell rot on my redfoot, after reviewing advice on this blog and others I have began the first treatment. My question is how long do I leave the Clotrimazole Cream on? Another group said 1 to 2 hours and rinse… I couldn’t find the advice in this group, making me think I would leave it until the next treatment.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Cozy

San Francisco, CA
Dab it on and leave it alone. Repeat every two days for a week.
It quickly kills the fungus.
It doesn't require anything else.
Welcome to the forum
1 more question: I also read somewhere else that my little guy needs a “hospital iso tank” with paper towel floor for the week. Is that accurate?

Thanks again!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I literally smear it on the effected tortoise and release him/her back into the enclosure, outdoors.
I'd only use a hospital enclosure if it was a very severe case. And actually she'll rot. Not just fungus.
(Requiring antibiotics and a clean environment)
Treatment is almost never a big deal

Cozy

San Francisco, CA
How is he being kept?
What kind of enclosure?
It's probably not needed
He’s in large glass tank, with foil capped top. Holds Stable heat and humidity. Coco Coir and cypress mulch. Changed all substrates today as well just in case there was fungus.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
He’s in large glass tank, with foil capped top. Holds Stable heat and humidity. Coco Coir and cypress mulch. Changed all substrates today as well just in case there was fungus.
No need to change all of the substrate. But it's probably too wet where he's sleeping.
It'll take some trial and error to get the humidity vs dampness just right.
Keep that cream handy.

Cozy

San Francisco, CA
I literally smear it on the effected tortoise and release him/her back into the enclosure, outdoors.
I'd only use a hospital enclosure if it was a very severe case. And actually she'll rot. Not just fungus.
(Requiring antibiotics and a clean environment)
Treatment is almost never a big deal
I smeared it all over the plastron only since that’s the area I was concerned with. Had a few scales on one leg also go from red to “whitish” … should I be treated the entire carapace and skin as well?

Cozy

San Francisco, CA
No need to change all of the substrate. But it's probably too wet where he's sleeping.
It'll take some trial and error to get the humidity vs dampness just right.
Keep that cream handy.
Yes, he digs deep into the substrate and it got a little wet in that corner under his hide?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I smeared it all over the plastron only since that’s the area I was concerned with. Had a few scales on one leg also go from red to “whitish” … should I be treated the entire carapace and skin as well?
Place a light film anywhere on the underside that you suspect may be fungus.
The cream will do no harm to shell or skin if you're wrong.
It's after 2am here.
Maybe take a few photos later.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes, he digs deep into the substrate and it got a little wet in that corner under his hide?
He needs to be able to get completely dry for at least part of the day. He can't stay soaking wet 24/7.
Hopefully he can stay out of the wet area during the day then.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Little guy is starting to look better already… surprised with how quick the med is working. Still a ways to go but looks like we’re headed in the right direction. Thanks again ZEROPILOT!
In addition to treating the visible symptoms, you must correct the CAUSE of the issue. Your tortoise needs a proper large closed chamber to be able to keep the substrate dry and the humidity high all at the same time. Foil on top of a glass tank doesn't work very well. If the heating and lighting are outside, you are making a chimney effect that draws the heat and humidity up and out, which then requires more wetness to keep it humid enough, which leads to the shell rot.

Another helpful tip is to use a thick layer of orchid bark for substrate. Around 4 inches. The upper layers can stay dry while the lower layers are more damp to help with humidity.