URGENT - Shell rot treatments - PLEASE HELP

Whayla

Recently I've found out my little Toot has shell rot and I need answers about treatments.

I have the story and photo's in this thread:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-89599.html

I need answers ASAP about treatment for this saddening condition.
Please, any input helps and is very much appreciated.

I have already used a betadine solution, just ONCE.
I've read about two types of cream for shell rot. Now I need assistance determining which is better for the type of situation I have on my hands. Is Chlorhexadine (Nolvasan) a better way to go or should I use an anti-fungal such as a clotrimazole cream?
I need to know if I should remove her from her environment when I start treatment so as to not contaminate her tank with chemicals? If so, what is the best method of keeping her temperarily? Should I keep her dry, like putting her on newspaper or very slightly misted paper towel (TEMPORARILY), to dry-lock the bacteria/fungus?
What are people's experiences with shell rot? Any advice? Or calming thoughts, because I am really losing my mind right now. I love my little Tortuga so much and I can't stand knowing I did/did not do something for her when she needed it. Why can't we communicate telepathically with our torts?!

Thank you again, anything helps.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I would plan on treating the area as outlined before...Athlete's foot cream or jock itch med would be good at this point....objective should be to allow the area to remain clean and dry and treat with the cream.....I would be sure to let the tort remain on paper towels for a couple of hours after treatment to allow absorption and drying into the affected areas.....

This may take a couple of weeks to get under control...and it may take much longer before you see the affected areas completely heal.....

Whayla

Thank you for the reply, Ascott.
I have her out of her enclosure as of now, and have started an anti-fungal treatment. I also took double precaution and got a Chlorhexidine (Nolvasan) solution as well.
From my understanding the clorhexidine does need to be a bit thinned with water though to make it not as potent, is this correct?
Does anyone know how often I should be re-applying the fungal cream/chlorhexidine? Should I trade off on the two medications for her to ensure better recovery?
Has anyone been through this situation and have any motivation or helpful hits for the healing process? What should I see happening as it heals? Anything to keep an eye out for or to be concerned about at this point?

Thanks again for the help. Right now I am just a distraught tortoise parent and could use some positive feedback. I love my little girl with all of my heart and feel terrible that this situation occurred. I just want to do what is best for her so any reply helps.

MrFrost

As far as what I've read in the other thread you posted, first of all be sure the substrate doesn't retain moisture (this could keep matters going worse) and remove the water dish before the lights are you in the night for the tort. Like this you will not offer her the possibility to sleep in the water dish, so if you keep doing this she will break the habit and so, if she will no longer see the water dish before going to sleep, she will break the habit over time of sleeping into it. Keep removing the water dish like this until the shell rot is gone.

Whayla

SAM_1926.JPGSAM_1999.JPG

Results after 6 days.

I feel the results are promising. What does everyone else think?

How long should I administer treatment? If she looks like she is healing, should I stop medication and just put her into her new habitat so she can decide for herself when to have moisture or when to relax her dry area? We've recently finished Tortuga's tortoise table, so she will have a lot more variety when it comes to temperature/humidity. I will put up photos when everything is properly set up, some constructive criticism is welcomed. :)
I appreciate the fantastic advice and want to thank all who replied to my concerns!!
Now, to start filling the table!

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If it were me, I would continue treatment for another 7 to 10 days....the mistake we sometimes make is to stop treatment too soon...especially with a creature that heals slowly.....:D

Star-of-India

10 Year Member!
Ascott's very right! Fungal infections generally need to be treated for

Oops, hit reply by mistake. But I was trying to edit and what I wanted to write is that fungal infections in humans are best treated for a week or two after all signs of infection are gone otherwise they generally recur. I'm not a tortoise vet, by I do happen to be an MD.

Doug

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
So, did you end up keeping tortuga in a separate home during treatment?

My little one has a small patch of shellrot, these threads were very helpful in understanding treatment. Would you mind posting pictures/links of the products you used and where you found them?

M

Maggie Cummings

I know I'm late on this but I just wanted to say that Nolvasan should be mixed 20 to 1 with water....I'd use the nolvasan cream too. Wash the spot with the liquid and put on the cream...