How long submerged in water?

Luvanrs50

Location (City and/or State)
South Louisiana
Our 3 year old Sully Spots is refusing to come out of his burrow that has water in it. It’s up about mid shell. We live in South Louisiana and the day temps are upper 80’s and nights in the mid 60’s right now. How long can he stay in the water like that? He hasn’t come out since early yesterday [emoji53] should I get my shovel and dig him out? I can see his head so he’s not in danger of drowning. Thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is too cold for that. You need to get him out ASAP. I've had success putting a hose in and filling up the rest of the burrow. They follow the water line up, or sometimes they come shooting out when they feel the incoming water.

Luvanrs50

South Louisiana
Ok that’s what I figured, I’ll give the hose a go and have my shovel on standby! I’ll get his heat lamp ready, thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok that’s what I figured, I’ll give the hose a go and have my shovel on standby! I’ll get his heat lamp ready, thank you!
If the burrow is shallow enough, you might be able reach in and grab a front leg and pull him out that way. Worth a try.

Luvanrs50

South Louisiana
So it started raining so I went out and he was halfway out the burrow but he went back in completely under water when I tried to grab him, so I dug him out the whole time he’s hissing and clawing himself into the dirt. But I prevailed. Covered his burrow with wood and bricks so this won’t happen again! IMG_6594.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So it started raining so I went out and he was halfway out the burrow but he went back in completely under water when I tried to grab him, so I dug him out the whole time he’s hissing and clawing himself into the dirt. But I prevailed. Covered his burrow with wood and bricks so this won’t happen again! View attachment 254437
I LOVE this picture!!!!! Too bad it's so blurry. . . it would be a good one for the calendar contest.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
I have to lure mine out every evening since the temps started dropping in Louisiana. I hold a handful of lettuce or some squash blossoms at the opening to Sweetheart’s favorite shady hole. I do wish he would learn to go into his warm heated house on his own, but not yet. Our Russian went in his by himself today. Hopefully the sulcata will do it tomorrow.

Luvanrs50

South Louisiana
I have to lure mine out every evening since the temps started dropping in Louisiana. I hold a handful of lettuce or some squash blossoms at the opening to Sweetheart’s favorite shady hole. I do wish he would learn to go into his warm heated house on his own, but not yet. Our Russian went in his by himself today. Hopefully the sulcata will do it tomorrow.

I even tried his favorite treats, he wasn’t coming out [emoji38] I have a feeling I’ll be forcing mine into his night box too!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So it started raining so I went out and he was halfway out the burrow but he went back in completely under water when I tried to grab him, so I dug him out the whole time he’s hissing and clawing himself into the dirt. But I prevailed. Covered his burrow with wood and bricks so this won’t happen again!

Very well done! You likely just saved his life.

Here are some night box examples for inspiration:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-best-night-box-design-yet.66867/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Time to block off the burrow. They usually figure out they need to go get in the night box within about two weeks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank for the night box ideas! What is the optimal nighttime temp I should aim for?
This depends on the weather, the day time highs, and the time of year. In summer when every day is going to be around 100, I let the night boxes drop to 70 overnight because they get so hot every day. In winter when we have cold or rainy spells, I like the night boxes to be set around 86 so they have some place to get warmer when the day isn't going to be warm and sunny.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Time to block off the burrow. They usually figure out they need to go get in the night box within about two weeks.
His “burrow” is just a half of a culvert that he goes under to cool off during the day since it still gets hot on his level. My husband can easily grab him and pull him out. I tore something in my shoulder last week, so I haven’t been able to do it. I have to resort to treats. His insulated house gets too hot during the day for him to use in the heat of the day. It’s warm and cozy at night though.