how long does it take for a RF to heal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mel262011

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Robertsdale, AL
Okay, so a few weeks ago I rehomed one of my torts because it was bullying my red foot Shelly. Well, Shelly has a few areas on the front and back legs where the skin was bitten off by the other one that was doing the bullying.

How long does it take for the skin on a red foot to heal?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Are you treating the wounds? Is Shelly housed indoors or outdoors....I would make sure the wounds are being cleaned and treated a couple of times per day....an infection can set in and take hold without much notice before it "suddenly appears".... are you able to post some pics? :D

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
She is housed indoors. I try to keep her clean but she likes to bury herself. They are a little blurry, sorry. The light gray areas are what I am talking about.

tort17.jpg
tort18.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
are you treating it? ointment? anything?
dont allow her to be in something she can bury herself.. give her a box to hide in.. it may need antibioctics..
pictures?

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
She has a hide box. She goes into the hide box and buries herselfin the cypress mulch. She has been like that since I got her. Her temps are fine, they are in the mid - high 80's all day and I keep the humidity up at 80% as well.

The reptile vet I use down here is not in his office this week, he is usually in the office every other week. The people that work in the office don't know when he will be in again because he is going on vacation.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Reptiles heal slowly, and tortoises slow even for a reptile. Figure it will take at least twice as long as it would for a human, and remember that warmth (without getting excessive) strengthens the tortoise's immune response.

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
Also I haven't been doing anything to treat it because I don't know what to do. All I have been doing is keeping the heat and humidity up in the enclosure. Her enclosure is a tortoise house, so she does have a hide box.

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
Should I try using neosporin on the tiny bite wounds?

She is eating and drinking like normal and then she hides for the rest of the day, that has always been the routine.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Almost any animal's wounds heal faster if they are well-cleaned, kept moist, and kept covered. Antibiotic ointment helps kill germs and keeps the wound site moist.

Clean the wound well, scrubbing gently if needed. You can use things like Betadine Solution, baby soap or shampoo, etc. to help get it nice and clean. Rinse well. If the tort will not let you access the would, soak him in some diluted Betadine Solution or baby shampoo for a while, but don't let it drink. Rinse well.

Administer a bit of ointment. If possible and practical, apply a self-adhesive bandage or some sterile gauze, then tape or use a wrap that sticks to itself but not skin and does not need tape (like VetWrap)

Repeat as needed, usually every couple days at first, then less often as it heals.

Status
Not open for further replies.