How Long Do Your Lamp Bulbs Last?

MaNaAk

Location (City and/or State)
Southend
Good morning Everyone,

How long do your lamp bulbs last as I seem to have to renew mine fairly regularly? I will be going to the reptile shop for advice about mine.IMG20220305092526.jpg

MaNaAk

Southend
I get these and most of my stuff online from a company called Inernet Reptile
Mine's 100 watts but I'm doing something wrong somewhere but I will be going to the reptile shop on Tuesday. Meanwhile Daisy has the heat bar and my lounge heating and also Jacky stirred on Tuesday not long until they can be together and get up to mischief again.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Mine's 100 watts but I'm doing something wrong somewhere but I will be going to the reptile shop on Tuesday. Meanwhile Daisy has the heat bar and my lounge heating and also Jacky stirred on Tuesday not long until they can be together and get up to mischief again.
What do you have plugged in together? What size circuit is it?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Is it located inside of a dome? Repeatedly off/on or does it remain on for long periods of time. About how long is your bulb lasting before burning out?

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
Good morning Everyone,

How long do your lamp bulbs last as I seem to have to renew mine fairly regularly? I will be going to the reptile shop for advice about mine.View attachment 341300
I bought my baby Easter Box Turtle UV LEDs. I think they last over 10,000 hours. She also has red and blue (night time LED blue). She's getting tanned under them.

I need a new basking lamp though. I don't know how long these last. They can bask under a restaraunt lamp but it irritates their eyes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I notice that yours is a different wattage but it is a floodlight so I wonder?
Spot lamps shouldn't be used over tortoises. They concentrate too much heat and desiccation into too small of an area. Flood lamps are the way to go, and the Arcadia brand seems to be of high quality. I don't use their flood lamps, but I use their HO UV tubes and those are fantastic. I buy my flood bulbs in bulk at the hardware store. They usually last several months when running all day every day. I always keep spares on hand because they burn out at the most inopportune times.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Make sure the receptacle you have it mounted in is strong enough to handle the wattage. It might be getting too hot, which burns the light out quicker.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
I'm having the same problem with CHE's, I used a 50W one for about a week and it seems to not be producing any heat. I think it may get too hot. (The CHE surface get's up to 100C/212F)

MaNaAk

Southend
I'm having to move the lamp to open the enclosure so I think I need to reduce this. I'm not technically minded but when the weather gets warmer Daisy will be joining Jacky anyway.IMG20220303150628.jpg

MaNaAk

Southend
I was told to have the bulb at 28 degrees from 7.00 am to 7.00 pm and 18 degrees from 7.00 pm to 7.00 am.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Southend
Daisy's lamp is working again and I shall be getting a lampstand but before then I shall do my best to avoid moving it

MaNaAk

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
Make sure the receptacle you have it mounted in is strong enough to handle the wattage. It might be getting too hot, which burns the light out quicker.
I'm wondering about dispersed lasers for UV. Laser wavelength is very accurate and if you disperse them thru a lens they can produce perfect UV for a turtle or tortoise.

I have to get a new heat lamp bulb. It does hurt her eyes but she goes into her cave.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I'm having to move the lamp to open the enclosure so I think I need to reduce this. I'm not technically minded but when the weather gets warmer Daisy will be joining Jacky anyway.View attachment 341368
Poor baby...how come no substrate? She would love to bury herself in dirt . I have Russians each in his own table and all three mess around in the dirt/substrate...anyhow...I have 2 of those lights, when I turn each on in their habitats, both come on immediately but in a few minutes they will go off not long they come back on. Don't, whatever you do, don't bump them damn things when they are hot. Kills them instantly.

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
My Eastern Box Turtle loves her substrate (Coconut Coir). And she has her cave!

Bigger Tortoises/Turtles maybe be more problematic.

An EBT will not get very big. And she is getting used to me, but still hisses at me and pees on me occasionally.

EBT's are extremely tough reptiles, so she is spoiled.

Some North American Southwest Tortoises cannot be handled at all. The stress will kill them. In fact I think it's illegal to handle them!