How important is tail for Crested Gecko?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Hi there,
When I saw crested geckos at the show, the ones with tails were obviously cheaper but just as cute. The only concern I had was that they went through some type of trauma/stress that made their tails fall off. Those of you who know about cresties...what do you think about getting the ones w/out tails for their overall health? Aesthetically, it really doesn't bother me.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
spain
The tail will grow back it can take up to 2 years but it wont look the same, They have either trapped or some one has held on to their tail,health wise unless it is infected it should be ok,just not so pretty..

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
That's incorrect.

Crested geckos are one of the only species that NEVER regenerate their tails. They lose them relatively easy, with mating, or fighting for territory or a big scare, but the tail is not essential to the gecko. Most of the wild cresteds on New Caledonia are tailless. Its just how they work.

I have some "frog butt" cresteds that are just as agile, friendly and healthy as the ones I have with tails. The only thing you have to watch for, is if you have an ADULT gecko that loses its tail. For a week or so, they are clumsy, and will fall more often, because their tail is somewhat prehensile (they can grip with it) and when they lose it, it takes them awhile to compensate for it not being there.

But other than that, it is PURELY COSMETIC. Some people just hate the look of a frog butt, so it does lower the price because it will never grow back. Its a great thing IMO sometimes you can get a realllllllly gorgeous gecko for 50$ or more off, just because of its tail!

Out of all the geckos I have, I have two frog butts, but I love them dearly. I can't imagine what it would look like if they had tails!

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Thanks meg i will keep that in mind, I thought all geckos regenerate, I do apologise...:p

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Thanks, Meg. Yes, what you are telling me about tails not regenerating is consisent with the breeder I spoke to. I liked the look of "frog butts"!! I thought they were very cute that way! I also thought it was endearing that they have such somatic effect for shock/trauma. I can see though for adults that it's hard for them to adjust/balance if they lose tails suddenly for the balance and especially if the tails could do what cameleons do: "Prehensile" -- so cool to know a new reptile lang. Meg, are you studying to be a herpetologist or something?? You sure know a lot about these repitles. Thanks again.
Thanks, Yvonne, for responding too. I am grateful that I found this site--such friendly cool site to share/check-in about your reptile family. I'm sitting here waiting for turkey to cook as I contemplate on my anticipated b-day gift - cresties w/or w/out tails!

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Yup, I want to become a herpetologist! I try to know as much as I can about the species I keep! Glad I could pass on some of the lingo! Be sure to post some pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.