How hot is too hot for hatching.?..

vanilla13gorilla

Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Just wandering what is the recommended high temps should be during the day in a closed enclosure?. During the daytime, the basking lamp is 105 degrees, ambient 93 degrees with 78% humidity. Humid hide, 92% humidity.. night time it drops to 83 degrees, ambient, with high 80% humidity overall.. I was worried that the daytime temps are too hot.. basking lamp is a 100 watt bulb. Might lower it to a 75 watt??. That would drop the ambient temps a bit and the basking temps should drop by a few degrees.. humidity should rise a bit as the temp lowers, maybe by a few points..

Any suggestions would be wonderful..

Thanks guys..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I set my leopard's thermostat to drop no lower than 80. During the day all the heating and lighting push the ambient up to the low 90's on a warm day. This has worked just fine for me. Once warmer weather returns, you might need to drop the wattage of your basking bulb. My closed chambers are 4x8' and I only use a 65 watt flood bulb for basking. I also use a 48" florescent tube for lighting and its on the same timer as the heat lamp.

vanilla13gorilla

Nebraska
Thanks Tom, I run a Acadia 12% T5 uvb, VERY NICE BULB BY THE WAY, with a daylight tube.. same height as the basking... around 20" above grade. It's all encased in a aquarium style hood that houses the heaters, and 12vdc fans, that help gets the heat down to grade, and a 120vac thermostat set to 95 degrees.. all out of sight and tucked into the hood.. it's pretty much air tight with a few vents I made that can be opened a bit to help cool it down. The roon the closure is in is 65 degrees on a good day and dips to 60 at night with with very dry air.. when summer rolls around, I have outside enclosures ready to be built..I don't think our Nebraska winters will do well with the Leo's.. I'm just worried they will COOK in this hot enclosure..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They won't cook with a 93 degree ambient daytime temp. Make sure things are good and humid and soak daily.

People in Phoenix, AZ have their leopards outside year round and its 110+ nearly every day there in summer. The leopards just hide out in the shade all day, but they survive those temps just fine.

vanilla13gorilla

Nebraska
Got it, just being so young I was worried about their morality. I know when they get older, they are more stable. Ohh, good old AZ weather. I went to ASU in Tempe, AZ for college.. man, those were hot years!!.

Thanks for the help Tom..

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
vanilla13gorilla said:
... just being so young I was worried about their morality. I know when they get older, they are more stable.

Sorry. Spell check giggle. I know you meant "mortality", especially with a hatchling. But this was funny. Sounds like something a parent would say, about us human kids.

vanilla13gorilla

Nebraska
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
vanilla13gorilla said:
... just being so young I was worried about their morality. I know when they get older, they are more stable.

Sorry. Spell check giggle. I know you meant "mortality", especially with a hatchling. But this was funny. Sounds like something a parent would say, about us human kids.

HA!!!.. I just got it, WHEW!!,,, Morality, who would guess?

Thanks Guys for the feedback..