How hard is it to keep Ornates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIttleGreys

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I know of two young adult Ornate box turtles that are in need of a new home. I have some yearling 3 toed boxies that are doing great and are so personable, I wouldn't at all mind adding a few more boxies to the family! (In a different habitat of course!)
I guess these turtles have some eye issues going on. They are kept on moist Eco-Earth with water dishes in the cage. Heat is 75 all over, about 90 in the basking area.
I am wondering what I might be getting myself into with these guys. I don't want to invest a fortune in trying to treat sick turtles. I'm very willing to take them in and do what I can for them, just wondering what you all think?
Sorry I do not have too much more info. Oh, they are captive bred, forgot to add that. Also, I believe in a previous home they were housed with Russian tortoises. Could they have "picked something up" from them that may be causing eye issues?
Thanks in advance for any help!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Habitat wise Ornates are similar to Russians. They are a grassland turtle and as such need a drier area than your three toed (a forest dweller) with a moist hide (they retreat underground in the heat of the day and at nite). To get an idea of temp and humidity requirements check weather in say Omaha or Wichita (both areas I have observed them in). They are a little more carnivorous than the Eastern species (carolina complex). For the eye problem, try mlons like catalope or honeydew (rich in Vit A).

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I've found with my Ornate box turtles that they like it just as humid as any of the carolinas. They like it a bit brighter lightwise than carolinas though.
But the biggest key that I've found with them is that when inside they absolutely have to be alone and in groups of no more than 4 outside.
They stress out so easily in the presence of another Ornate.
These 2 sound like they may have the start of respiratory infections.
Mine always started with bad eyes than went right to respiratory infections.
If you do get them, plan on vet visits and antibiotics. Your also going to have to keep them alone inside to keep them healthy.

Danny

M

Maggie Cummings

LIttleGreys said:
I know of two young adult Ornate box turtles that are in need of a new home. I have some yearling 3 toed boxies that are doing great and are so personable, I wouldn't at all mind adding a few more boxies to the family! (In a different habitat of course!)
I guess these turtles have some eye issues going on. They are kept on moist Eco-Earth with water dishes in the cage. Heat is 75 all over, about 90 in the basking area.
I am wondering what I might be getting myself into with these guys. I don't want to invest a fortune in trying to treat sick turtles. I'm very willing to take them in and do what I can for them, just wondering what you all think?
Sorry I do not have too much more info. Oh, they are captive bred, forgot to add that. Also, I believe in a previous home they were housed with Russian tortoises. Could they have "picked something up" from them that may be causing eye issues?
Thanks in advance for any help!

Before I really knew anything about turtles I was given several 3 toed and several Ornata by a woman who was raising them w/o lights. They were very small just a few months old I guess. Anyhow, I set them up in an aquarium and eventually into a tort table. It was years before I knew that they should have different habitats.
So mine act normal. They don't get sick, possibly having grown into the situation they didn't know they needed to be dryer...
So I have Ornata and 3-toed living happily together in a tort table; well, I don't know about happy, but they act normal...
It sounds to me like those need some Vit A (no injections) that would be the eye problem leading to an upper resp problem.
If you took them they'd need Vet care and antibiotics. I adore my Ornata. They have great personalities and are very out going.
And they bite so it's easy to give oral meds to them...lol

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If your doing fine with the three toed, you will do fine with the ornate. Their needs are pretty much the same and their boundaries over lap (like here in the area I live).

Personally, (knocks on wooden head) I have never had any eye problems or RI with mine. I did take in a rescue with bad eyes. It had been kept too dry, so once the habitat was changed it cleared up.

My group thru the years has numbered around 6-8 with no trouble. I am lucky and for the last 12-15 yrs have only kept and occasional rescue inside with the rest left outside year round. Before that, we kept them inside in small groups with no troubles.

I think the most common mistake is folks not giving them enough moisture, much like with the Russians. Mine have always been much more on the carnivorous side, with accepting very little plant matter and most of that the fruity kind.

LIttleGreys

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks so much for the replies, very helpful!! It looks like I probably will be getting them in the next week or so. I didn't hear from the owner for a few days, so thought maybe she had found someone else to take them, but just got an email from her.
So, here is my plan for them if they come here......please let me know what I need to change! For winter (they will go outside in the spring), the underthebed sweater box ( about 40" long"), substrate of Eco-Earth mixed with peat moss. Right now they are fed superworms, earthworms and chicken. I know I need to add some melon to that for the vit A. How about a mercury vapor bulb on a 12-14 hour timer? The room will go no lower than about 60-65, my dogs are crated in there at night, so between body heat and the regular heater, it is pretty cozy. I don't keep any heat on my Russian at night, and she does fine. I have a heat emitter on the yearling 3 toeds.........
Oh, how about oral antibiotics? My vet doesn't do many reptiles, so she is always willing to listen to turtle experts for advice. What kind is normally used?
Thanks all,
Sue

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Most likely if they do need antibiotics it will be shots, they could be lacking in vitamins due inproper lighting, and it could be they are not being kept humid enough. I spray my ornates enclosure down every morning, the more the food moves the more they want it. I feed various worms, crickets, they love strawberries, I also give apples, blueberries, grapes, tomatos, squash, carrots, bannanas, sweet potatos, etc. They will eat everything. Some say they don't eat greens as well, but mine do, I feed everything chopped up and once they eat there fruits and veggies, I hand feed each one what ever bugs I am feeding that day, all I can say is watch they fingers, and out of the 4 I have the 2 males are friendly and the two females are the grouches. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.