How fast should a pearl lobster grow?

jamescost

I've purchased a pearl lobster about a month ago and since then it has doubled in size and so has his claws. I was wondering if I'm feeding him to much? He will eat plants in the tank all day and every other day when I feed the fish I give him algae wafers. So is he growing as he should or am I over feeding? I'm worried he will grow to large for my tank.

Attachments

• 1408902959080.jpg
    1408902959080.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 1408902969663.jpg
    1408902969663.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 58

Shakudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Netherlands
Well ... Do you know the species?

If this is a color morph of "Cherax Destructor" the commonly
sold "yabby" it can grow up to 15 cm to max 28 cm.

jamescost

I do not know it's species. Will it be able to live in a 60 gallon aquarium comftorably?

Shakudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Netherlands
I do not know it's species. Will it be able to live in a 60 gallon aquarium comftorably?

Yes ,I think so but if you place fish in there.... They can predate on them.

They like a very high water quality and they love to hide in f.e. , half buried flower pots. They also can destroy plants or poorly anchored plants. Lots of driftwood hiding places are appreciated.

Joey

jamescost

He destroys all my live plants bit at least he's eating them and not destroying for the fun of it. He gets along decently with my fish they just stay apart from eachother. The only fish he tried to snap at was my 4 inch suncatfish that stole the lobsters algae waffer so understandable.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hopefully fast them things are tasty! Haha kidding could not help myself .

Prairie Mom

email eddie.jpg
Here is a photo of my crayfish along with his molted shell in the foreground.

I'm not sure where you are located and where you got your pearl lobster from. If you are in North America, chances are you do not have a "yabby", but a North American Crayfish. The stores call them "lobsters", but if they are freshwater, then it is actually a crayfish. There are lots of pretty pet store varieties ranging from electric blue, blue gray, browns, and then your rarer very beautiful variety of snow white or pearl. My picture is not very clear, but my little guy is a blue/gray with lots of pink highlights.

It's true that yabbies' can get a foot or more in size, but if you have a North American crayfish like I do, then chances are that he will grow to be a healthy robust 8 inches. My crayfish also grew really quickly under good diet like yours and molts about every other month. It is still shocking how big he seems to be after every molt and the color changes are a lot of fun.

I'm sure your pretty crayfish would love to have a sixty gallon tank, but that large of an aquarium shouldn't be necessary, particularly since they are best housed alone. If you have the room, I say go for it, because they are extremely "dirty" and the stronger the filtration the better. Just remember that you must provide oxygen in the form of a good sized air stone or they can actually drown! I'd love to see more pictures of your pretty pearl as he grows and molts!