How fast do babies grow?

mini_max

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
I've had my young russian tortoise for over a month now. I feel like he's grown quite noticeably. His shell has gotten taller for sure as I've had to adjust his cave as he is rubbing his shell when he enters now. I feel like he's longer, though I didn't take an accurate measurement when we got him. He's just shy of 3 inches now and if I remember correctly 50 g when the vet weighed him.
Does his shell look normal to the experienced eye? I've read about eating too much causing too quick of growth...and given his hearty appetite I've never been sure if we are over feeding or not.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your little guy looks just fine. When a Russian tortoise is overweight his skin pooches out around his legs. Several things go towards making a baby grow - heat/UVB, diet, exercise and good care. If you overfeed your baby and he can't get any exercise he'll get fat. If you overfeed your baby the wrong kinds of food, and there is no UVB or exercise, he'll grow deformed. It all depends upon a balance. Keep things in balance and you'll do alright by him.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Your tort doesn't look overweight-it looks mre than fine to me.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
He looks great :D
It's easy to tell if a tort is overweight... and yours isn't! As long as he has space to exercise and is able to lose his 'pudge' he'll be fine.
All babies grow at different rates, but good care can really give a tort a big boost!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Many factors determine growth rate. You baby looks great.

franz_see

Philippines
Hi @mini_max :) Have you kept track of our tortoise's growth? :) If you have, i'd like to request for a copy of your growth chart so that I can add it to my collection http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/tortoise-growth-charts.113321/ :) I've started a collection of growth charts of different tortoises and would like to add yours in it so that we can all get a better picture of how slow/fast they really grow :D

Thanks! :D

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Your baby is beautiful!! I love the coloring and stripes in the scutes.