How does she look?

Status
Not open for further replies.

68merc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, CA
I took pictures (with a real camera not my phone) after her soak and before I put her out for the day. How does she look?
2822 grams (6.2lbs) and is 9 3/4" long.
I have no clue how old she is but the one thing the people I got her from said was she was 4 years... I doubt they even knew.

rf1.jpg

rf2.jpg

How do her eyes look to you? They look better than before her first soak.
rf3.jpg

I put her down and she ran for cover.
rf4.jpg

rf5.jpg

LindaF

5 Year Member
Poor baby, I bet she never had it so good. She is lucky you have her now. Just a little bit of TLC can go a long way. She is looking better already!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She looks to be around 10 to 15 years old to me.

So it looks like your beautiful outdoor habitat was made for a redfoot instead of for desert tortoise babies?? (I forgot if I advised you about not mixing species)

She's a little bumpy, but her eyes look bright and alert. Bumpy doesn't really matter...just adds a bit of character.

68merc

10 Year Member!
Fresno, CA
I have learned that I can't mix my CDT's with my RF and im ok with that. The babies can't go outside full time till late next year anyway. It will give me reason to landscape another part of the yard!
Funny thing.... Now I want another RF. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
68merc said:
Funny thing.... Now I want another RF. :)

Well, at least you didn't blame THAT (wanting another RF) on your daughter! :p

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Is that CEDAR(?).. if so get it out of there immediately.. it is very toxic.. and get a bigger tub upside down with doors cut in it so he can hide totally.

Get us a full plastron shot please.. so we can sex him for you. [ or have you already? ] Sorry I haven't followed this any.

BTW.. an '05 in my group is 9" SCL.. so let's say he's 7-8+ years old.

Plant everything edible all over his enclosure.. it looks like a desert tort environment right now with nothing growing in it.. of course it's still early early spring.

Redfoot tortoises like to hide a lot so provide plenty of spaces to hide in total darkness during the day.. that's why he took off to hide like he did.

Yes he was kept very dry and looks like probly fed dog food or something like that.. any idea what he was raised on? He could be younger than we suspect because of the way he was fed.

Terry

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Terry: Its a brand new pen that he built for his desert tortoise hatchlings. But he rescued the redfoot from a craig's list ad and had to put her someplace, so now its a redfoot pen. He brings her in the house at night because its still too cold here at night. He also has a couple misting drip emitters in the pen to provide her with moist air. I believe the flower boxes are redwood. I really don't think they will be harmful to the tortoise. There's actually a burrow that Murray built underground for the tortoise to hide in. I have quite a bit of redwood in my tortoise pens and no ill effects on them.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I just went back over your different threads........ ignore EVERYTHING I said :rolleyes:

Saw this on a marquee and thot you might like it 68merc:

"March in like a Lion.. and out with the Lamb".

Terry

emysemys said:
Terry: Its a brand new pen that he built for his desert tortoise hatchlings. But he rescued the redfoot from a craig's list ad and had to put her someplace, so now its a redfoot pen. He brings her in the house at night because its still too cold here at night. He also has a couple misting drip emitters in the pen to provide her with moist air. I believe the flower boxes are redwood. I really don't think they will be harmful to the tortoise. There's actually a burrow that Murray built underground for the tortoise to hide in. I have quite a bit of redwood in my tortoise pens and no ill effects on them.

Thanks Yvonne.. you type much quicker than I looked and replied.

Redwood is a lot different than cedar!

Terry

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
She looks awwwww-some! She hit the jackpot when you rescued her.

Status
Not open for further replies.