How does Austwickia (yellow bumps) spread?

Thorthetortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Malaysia
My leopard hatchling passed last year, possible case of austwickia and I have disinfected its tub, hide and water dish with F10, wondering if I should reuse them.
I am very curious as to how this bacteria spreads. Could it be airborne?

Thanks guys.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My leopard hatchling passed last year, possible case of austwickia and I have disinfected its tub, hide and water dish with F10, wondering if I should reuse them.
I am very curious as to how this bacteria spreads. Could it be airborne?

Thanks guys.
Throw out the contaminated items. Its not worth the risk.

Also, disinfect with ammonia or 12% Hydrogen peroxide (Store bought peroxide is usually 3%, so you have to special order the 12% Don't get it on your skin or clothes.). Bleach and F10 don't kill some pathogens is some situations.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
I did not have a lot of time to reply earlier, but I agree with discarding the stuff if you can. Definitely whatever that touched the tortoise directly, if it is porous at all, will be difficult to properly sterilize. This stuff doesn’t have enough value to be worth the risk or cost of dealing with this disease again.

Thorthetortoise

Malaysia

Also, disinfect with ammonia or 12% Hydrogen peroxide (Store bought peroxide is usually 3%, so you have to special order the 12% Don't get it on your skin or clothes.). Bleach and F10 don't kill some pathogens is some situations.
Thanks Tom! This is very informative. I have thrown out the used items.

Thorthetortoise

Malaysia

Thanks Tom! This is very informative. I have thrown out the used items.
I did not have a lot of time to reply earlier, but I agree with discarding the stuff if you can. Definitely whatever that touched the tortoise directly, if it is porous at all, will be difficult to properly sterilize. This stuff doesn’t have enough value to be worth the risk or cost of dealing with this disease again.
No worries, I’m not the fastest in responding as well… workload is mad.
Appreciate yours and Tom’s advice. I have thrown out the items. I felt it’s a little wasteful which was why I considered recycling them but it’s definitely not worth the worry, extra effort and risk for such small items :)