How do you take yours to the vet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
I found a vet on the list posted elsewhere in this forum, checked with a friend and apparently the guy is EXCELLENT.

So, I've decided to take Sheldon in.

But how?

Do I stuff him in a box? Do they make tortoise carriers? How exactly does one get a tortoise to the vet?

Lulu

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
I have a very high tech set up. I put my tortoise on top of some paper towels in a cardboard box and then cover the whole thing with a dish towel to keep any bright light off of him. :) All of my tortoises fit in a medium sized cardboard box. I imagine a larger tortoise would require a different approach.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
I liked to get some hemp rope and tie her to my head like a hat. She keeps my head warm and I keep her belly warm.

Honestly, I take some of the warm sphagnum moss from her enclosure and pack it in her critter keeper. She fits in snug but she can wiggle to make herself comfortable, it keeps her warm and happy. The feed the seat-belt through the handle of the critter keeper, so if we happen to get in an accident or stop short she's safe.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I use an ordinary cat carrier (top loader) lined with fleece

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
I haven't needed to take Emrys anywhere since I got him, but he has a plastic storage box that I can line with towels/substrate, and that fits perfectly onto a seat with seatbelt. The same box is used to transport him around the house.

EKLC

5 Year Member
I use my combo mini dome box. I put a piece of slate in the oven on low for 10 minutes, then put that in the bottom. then put a layer of towels. My vets office is very cold

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Ive always transported my reptiles in cloth bags... But for the bigger sulcatas...I use a comforter...I heat it up in the dryer lay it in the back..place the tort on the comforter and wrap them up in it.then I wedge them into a corner..it keeps them warm and the darkness keeps them calm... I use the same technique when I take them to my other place in the mountains and that's a 4hr ride...

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
I use a cat carrier and some towels and cover them up. Bring 2 towels, somebody always goes potty!! I also use a homemade rice bag to keep whomever warm!

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Boxs and Tupperware are all well and good, but sometime just aint enough! Right now I block off an area in the back of my truck and lay a tarp for protection. but have plans to have a harness made to attach to the sides of the truck and hold him in place... like a seatbelt. Or rather a Tortios Restraint Device (TRD). Right now I lift him into the bed with muscle power but not for much longer, when he hits #100lbs +, I'll have to build him a ramp and find someway to lure him up it... BTW, he visits our School twice a year and is a BIG hit with all the kids!
IMG_0386.jpg
IMG_0387.jpg

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
Zamric said:
Boxs and Tupperware are all well and good, but sometime just aint enough! Right now I block off an area in the back of my truck and lay a tarp for protection. but have plans to have a harness made to attach to the sides of the truck and hold him in place... like a seatbelt. Or rather a Tortios Restraint Device (TRD). Right now I lift him into the bed with muscle power but not for much longer, when he hits #100lbs +, I'll have to build him a ramp and find someway to lure him up it... BTW, he visits our School twice a year and is a BIG hit with all the kids!
IMG_0386.jpg
IMG_0387.jpg

Sorry to be off topic but figure few others may wanna know too, I like the tag u have on his shell, what do u use to apply it?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
I have an old-time wicker pic-nic basket (think Yogi Bear :p) that I can put a hot water bottle in and then cover bottle with a thick towel...works great for tortoises under 12".

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
I have tried differant places with differant adhesives. This is the best place with the best adhesive I could find. It is a 2 part, concrete anchor epoxy.... Its been there for 4 years now and shows no sign of ever falling off. The tag itself I molded to fit the contour of his shell with a hammer and rock as an anvil. we live in a nice size neighborhood and he has excaped the yard twice.... Thought it was a resonable precaution!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I go to the front door, give a whistle and hollar ...load em up, they roll to the front door on out to the truck, bounce up on their back feet and hollar alli up and right on in they go.....it is weird, I did not even have to train them...they were just showing off one day and we went with it.....lol

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
If WalkingRock EVER bounce up on his back feet, I think I would just plain ol' pass out from watching the experiance!:p

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Wait a minute! Wait a minute! Am I missing something here? Ange, do you mean to tell me that your tortoise bounces up on his back feet & climbs into your truck?? That is amazing!... but for some reason I think there's something that I'm not getting.... Hmmm...

ascott said:
I go to the front door, give a whistle and hollar ...load em up, they roll to the front door on out to the truck, bounce up on their back feet and hollar alli up and right on in they go.....it is weird, I did not even have to train them...they were just showing off one day and we went with it.....lol

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Ange, do you mean to tell me that your tortoise bounces up on his back feet & climbs into your truck??

Nooooo silly, he does a bounce and hollars Alli Up and lands right in the seat....tortoise can't climb into a truck, you're funny Anthony....LOL ;)

f WalkingRock EVER bounce up on his back feet, I think I would just plain ol' pass out from watching the experiance!

I know right, imagine my surprise...."fricken sweeeet" :p

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
He does a what & a what now? Haha! A bounce & hollars Alli up? Why do I feel like I'm on an episode of Hee-Haw?? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.