How do you get hold of cactus for feeding?

Michelle Marshall

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hello, just wondered if anyone buys their own cactus plants to feed their tortoise? Can you get garden centre cactus plants? I know it should be prickly pear cactus, but how much for a 1yr old tortoise? And how often given their laxative properties? Thank you

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most people grow their own. Its really very easy even in pots.

There are several people selling spineless opuntia on this site too. You can order a box and feed some of it out and plant a few pads. During summer time, I feed it to my herd once or twice a week.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I do all of the above, order online, buy from grocery store and am trying to grow some that will last through my snowy winters.

Michelle Marshall

UK
Thank you, I'll head down a garden centre today. They don't sell them in grocery stores in the UK unfortunately. Is one a week ok to give my little guy? He's just one year old.

tortoisept

5 Year Member
In the uk you dont find them in grocerie stores but u can buy them in garden centres or on ebay and re-pot them and weathered them for a few months and then feed

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I'd like to get another cactus to try and grow. Would buying one from a garden center be pesticide free?

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Most likely they will be free of pesticides. I've never had a problem with anything eating my cactus except for my tortoises of course. I would still ask though before feeding.