How deep is your substrate and what substate choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakehinds

5 Year Member
Hey guys, I've seen multiple acceptable depths for substrate. how many inches do you prefer, and what substrate do you use?

Also, didn't want to make another thread for this question: I recently built a turtle table that is 5 feet long and 33 inches wide for my tort. I originally had him in a 20 gallon long when I first got him, but read that that was no good, so I took some 2x4's and made a 30x30" square box for him, and lastly the table. Ever since I put him in the table, he goes to only one corner of it and tries climbing out. He does it petty often, and I let him roam the house when I take him out to eat. Anyone know what would cause this?

Attachments

• tutle table.jpg
    tutle table.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 61

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
I have about three inches deep of substrate, but in the hiding area it's maybe four or five inches deep. And he might want to get out because he associates that with the food. Feeding him in the enclosure will help disassociate him with that "result." OR he may be adjusting to his new surroundings.
Edit: I also forgot to mention, I use eco-earth as a substrate.

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I use Eco earth with a little bit of repti bark and have it about 4-5 inches deep.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
6+ inches, peat moss---no sand whatsoever. Plants plants plants---(real or artificial silk plants) they are a natural place for cover/security...

WillTort2

5 Year Member
If you cap the corners then the corners will no longer look like a way out.

I use a mixture of plain cheap top soil and coco coir. It probably averages 5 to 6 inches deep; but each of the Russians push and dig in the substrate to create dips and hills.

I don't think your substrate can be too deep; unless it gives a chance to escape because the sides are too low.

Noticing your hides, I don't like the rounded top wood hides because of the Russians desire to climb everything. It might cause the tort to flip over. Each Russian will make adjustments to their enclosure; it's your job to make sure their adjustments continue to be safe. They will push around most anything you put in with them.

I like a rectangular hide. Tall enough sides that they can't climb on top of the hide and wide enough for them to turn around inside.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I use plain old dirt. I plan on mixing sphagnum moss in with it when I change the substrate out, but I keep mine 18" to 24" deep.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
I use cypress mulch. Used the coco coir until I realized just how much $$ I was spending on it. So glad I switched to the mulch - easier to clean and my torts really like it. Also, it doesn't get in their eyes like the coir was. I'm able to control the humidity much better with the mulch as well.

abclements

5 Year Member
I use coco coir and I range anywhere from 1 inch thick to 8 inches. Deeper in places he likes to bury himself
Sent from my LG-P769 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.