How deep do Box turtles hibernate?

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
It's late summer and again, we're going to try to let 3 year old Matilda be a turtle and hibernate outdoors for the winter. We began last year and got to 22F nighttime temps and she was doing great, then was attacked by a rat or similar so I brought her in for the winter.

So here we are again. I've built up one corner of her enclosure with lots of leaves and some green leaf matter to build a bed for her. It's about 10" deep and 16" from the edge to the wall of her home.

How deep does it have to be?

6"

12"

18"

I know where the freeze line is but considering that in good conditions, a box turtle can be fully 40% frozen & survive....I don't think I need to provide anything that deep.

I don't want to push her to the edge of existence but I don't want to go overboard either.

I'd love to hear other thoughts???

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think it's different depending upon where on earth you are. It's been my understanding they need to be down below the frost line, which is probably different across the globe.

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
I have pretty limited experience with box turtles, but I would recommend you make sure that the location is not the most downhill part of the enclosure. When we lived in Illinois I had a box turtle that hibernated in the lowest point in the enclosure, 8' x 4' outside, and we had a terrible spring thaw cycle where it would freeze, thaw, rain, and refreeze about 3 or 4 times in a month span. My box turtle never came up from that hibernation and I assumed, died due to the rain/thaw cycles. When we dug up the enclosure I found him and it looked like he had died fully encased in a goopy mud soup we couldn't get out of. That is who is in the profile picture, which now that I have a dozen aquatic turtles, some of which I've had for 7 years, I realize I should probably update.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
the frost line here is 42" , the plant zone is 5b ...... although i never looked for one in january or february , i've never seen one that appeared to go any deeper than about 4" to the top of their shells ........ my opinion, loosen and break the soil up about 10-12" deep, 4-5" of grass clippings , then 1-2' of leaves ....... high ground , well drained soil , full sun, sandy loam soil .... some of these guys here have hibernated as described for more than 20 winters without incident ........ i had one last winter suffer some freeze damage to her eyes ....... we had the 2nd warmest winter on record , i'm guessing she came up and didn't get in a good spot when winter came back, she did recover with a little help......... i have little doubt they do freeze to some degree every winter ......jmo