How big to be...

Status
Not open for further replies.

October

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Tan Valley, Arizona
outside 24/7 as long as there are proper hiding spots, water, food, protection, etc?

Is it a matter of making sure they have right environment or would AZ temps and weather fluctuations stress a tort under a certain size/age?

Thanks guys!

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
They Can Stay Outside 24/7 After They Are About A Year Old or So!
As Long As They Have A Shed Or Dog House With Lights, Or Pig Blankets In It!
You Want Lots Of Edible Plants, Rocks etc
Also When Its Hot You Want Lots Of Shade Hide Spots, And A Shallow Pool :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If the weather is good, my babies go outside. Last Autumn I got two hatchling leopard babies from Tom. They went outside last week. I put them out every morning and then back in the heated shed at night.

I have several hatchling Texas tortoises that have overwintered in the house. This coming week I'll be working on getting them outside. Same deal...out in the a.m. and back inside at night.

When over wintering indoors, the babies are in a nicely planted habitat. Once the weather permits them to be outside, they come back inside to spend the night in a cardboard box with shredded paper. No need for two habitats because all they do at night is sleep.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Russian tortoises can be outdoors starting from day one as long as they have a properly set up enclosure. You just aren't going to see a hatchling much if put it outdoors. They spend the majority of their time in hiding and rarely stray far from their secure hiding spots.
They absolutely don't need a heat source outdoors, day or night, especially in Arizona!

Peacebone

5 Year Member
AZ
Once you begin to build an outdoor enclosure you will need to think of putting a barrier a ways underground as Russian tortoises are notorious for their digging out of enclosures. You will want to make it a good distance down though so they are still able to hibernate in the winter, or you may artificially hibernate them indoors.

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Thanks for the replies guys! I currently have Morla, age unknown, though definitely older and she loves it outside 24/7. I've been talking to a lady who is wanting her two Russians to go to a good home, preferably outdoors. She's had them for 2 years so they are at least 2 years old. I just wanted to make sure they would do alright at a younger age outside. I'm going to quarantine them for 6 months, but still outside.

Peacebone, you mention an underground barrier. The yard is cinderblock fencing with a 12" footer. So far Morla does not seem interested much in digging, though she loves to hide under bushes and such. Is 12" deep enough?

Thanks again guys!

Greg Knoell

10 Year Member!
Laveen, AZ
I'd say dehydration would be the issue of most concern for a small Russian tortoise in our AZ climate. Providing cover via lot of shrubbery and water via sprinkler once a day would help keep the young tortoise cool and shaded. You should also build a shaded area that will stay out of the direct sun for all of the day...artificial burrow or tortoise house type thing is ideal. In general Russians do great in our climate here in AZ, our moderately cold winter is a breeze for this species. They originate from areas with a long, much colder and more severe winter. Alternately, the summers in their native regions are warm as well, so they can tolerate Phoenix heat if acclimated properly. The best time to introduce them outdoors in our climate would probably early-mid spring. That way they can 'ramp-up' to the hot summer. As with all tortoise and outdoor accommodations the younger/smaller the animal, the more risk there will be keeping them out 24/7. Hatchlings are more vulnerable in so many ways compared to older animals. I monitor my younger tortoises when outdoors more often and with much greater attention to detail as compared to my older established animals.

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Thanks for the reply Greg. Next on my list of things to guilt my husband into doing is a burrow. My tort currently has lots of access to shade and water and places to hide, but it feels unnatural to me for her to not have a place underground of her own. Now if only I had decided this before it hit 100 degrees. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.