How big of a deal is it for a russian to spend a lot of time trying to escape his enclosure? +UVB question

Kevboosh

Location (City and/or State)
California
For the last few days, Coaster has been spending most of the day trying to climb out of his enclosure. He did this for the first few days I had him but stopped. He spent most of the last month burying himself so I thought there was a temperature problem. I think he wasnt getting enough UVB from me just taking him outside for sun for a few hours a week like I was. The only thing that's changed is that I was finally able to get him a UVB light for his enclosure and, after a week with it, he all of a sudden started getting super active. Am I correct in my assumption that he was inactive from not enough UVB? I love that he's more active but dont want him to be stressed out. I dont think he's panicking or anything, just standing against and digging against the walls of his enclosure. He's also climbing on his hides, basking, eating, napping and all that normal stuff. I know escape attempts are very normal russians but are they a sign of unhappiness? Trying to escape could be entertaining for him I guess? Going to make him a nice enclosure with higher walls and more sight obstructions when I get paid. Good gosh is he making a ruckus lol. Thank you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It IS a big deal. It means something's wrong in there. . . not big enough, too hot, too cold, nothing to breed with. . . YOU have to be the detective and try to figure out what he's looking for, and the place to start is re-reading the care sheet with an open mind.

Kevboosh

California
It IS a big deal. It means something's wrong in there. . . not big enough, too hot, too cold, nothing to breed with. . . YOU have to be the detective and try to figure out what he's looking for, and the place to start is re-reading the care sheet with an open mind.
From what I've read, I'm pretty sure it's because the walls are low and the enclosure is close to the ground making him able to see too much stuff that's outside of his enclosure that he wants to explore. Please dont mistake me trying to not look like an annoying worrywart by forcing a "lol" into my post as a sign that I'm not taking Coaster's health and happiness seriously. The fact that I didn't recite every single last piece of information I know about his care isnt proof of me not doing my homework. I'm genuinely offended that you would imply I dont have an open mind. If my mind wasnt open, I wouldnt be here asking for advice. I'm doing everything I can for him and I guarantee he's better off with me than he was at the pet store I saved him from. I've been spending every last penny I can spare on following this site's advice. He's eating better than I am. I dont know what it is about tortoises that makes everybody think it's ok to treat everybody else like an idiot.

Again, is it possible that more UVB is the reason he has, all of a sudden, become more active these past two days? He's had his new UVB light(reptisun 10) for two weeks. Thank you.

Kevboosh

California
He's not pacing. He hasnt stopped doing any of his normal, healthy activities. He doesnt try to climb or dig out for more than, maybe, 10 minutes at a time before deciding to do something else for a bit. Interest in the outside of his enclosure has simply replaced his interest in burying himself. Seems like a healthy change in behavior to me. Am I wrong?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He's not pacing. He hasnt stopped doing any of his normal, healthy activities. He doesnt try to climb or dig out for more than, maybe, 10 minutes at a time before deciding to do something else for a bit. Interest in the outside of his enclosure has simply replaced his interest in burying himself. Seems like a healthy change in behavior to me. Am I wrong?
That sounds like pretty normal stuff.

If the UV is too strong or too close, it can burn their eyes and cause hyperactivity. Do you have a UV meter?

Kevboosh

California
That sounds like pretty normal stuff.

If the UV is too strong or too close, it can burn their eyes and cause hyperactivity. Do you have a UV meter?
Not yet. Because his enclosure is a big circle, instead of a thin rectangle, a large amount isnt getting any UVB coverage. It's next to his basking bulb and at a very slight angle so that it's also hitting his feeding area some. When I first set it up, he seemed very drawn to it. I'm more worried about him not getting enough but is there any other signs that he's getting too much for me to look out for until I can get a uv meter?

Kevboosh

California
Maybe a UVB light was simply the last thing he needed to make him finish settling in to his new home?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Please share pics of the enclosure. Firstly Russians are escape artists and their number one thought is... where am I and how can I get out! What you need to do it make this an interesting env to live in to distracted and make it feel at home. Correct heat, light uvb, diet, water, substrate, soaks, hides, rocks, basking area are essential. Try to also block end to end enclosure view with a hide so he explores, if they can see out then that can also cause issues add tape up till the above height of tortoise to blank out the vision. I have a Russian and you have to be creative and detect what could be causing frustration and make changes. They also hate major change so go carefully. Keep us posted.

Last edited:

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Uvb should only be on part of the day so how long do you have it on for. Is it on a timer? They need lights out to sleep and rest.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
From what I've read, I'm pretty sure it's because the walls are low and the enclosure is close to the ground making him able to see too much stuff that's outside of his enclosure that he wants to explore. Please dont mistake me trying to not look like an annoying worrywart by forcing a "lol" into my post as a sign that I'm not taking Coaster's health and happiness seriously. The fact that I didn't recite every single last piece of information I know about his care isnt proof of me not doing my homework. I'm genuinely offended that you would imply I dont have an open mind. If my mind wasnt open, I wouldnt be here asking for advice. I'm doing everything I can for him and I guarantee he's better off with me than he was at the pet store I saved him from. I've been spending every last penny I can spare on following this site's advice. He's eating better than I am. I dont know what it is about tortoises that makes everybody think it's ok to treat everybody else like an idiot.

Again, is it possible that more UVB is the reason he has, all of a sudden, become more active these past two days? He's had his new UVB light(reptisun 10) for two weeks. Thank you.
She wasn't doing anything you are saying of her. We don't know anything more about you than what you are saying about the tortoise. As you can likely tell, she is very active and long time, from beginning, member. You can't even imagine the people this forum tries to help and they just blow it off as if they already know all the care needed, because they read the care sheet once or read on that wasn't on this forum and they think they know it all, even though they have most if not all of the care wrong! You asked the question and she gave you the best answer to it. You might not like it, but it is, what it is. It amazes me, when members get nasty to the person taking the time out of their day, to help you!!!
My Russians outdoor enclosure is all fencing and he doesn't pace and he can see out all sides. So that likely isn't it!

Kevboosh

California
Uvb should only be on part of the day so how long do you have it on for. Is it on a timer? They need lights out to sleep and rest.
Yes, the same 12 hour timer as his basking lamp and ceramic heat emitter. I'm embarrassed to post pictures of his enclosure because it's set up so ugly looking and ramshackle-like. :/ I check temperatures and stuff constantly so I know it's not bad. Just ugly. I had to use zip ties to improvise a way to mount the UVB and ambient lighting... Everything will be perfect next month when I can afford to build him a perfect enclosure. I would be willing to send a picture to one of the experts privately but not on a public post because people are often very judgemental.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, the same 12 hour timer as his basking lamp and ceramic heat emitter. I'm embarrassed to post pictures of his enclosure because it's set up so ugly looking and ramshackle-like. :/ I check temperatures and stuff constantly so I know it's not bad. Just ugly. I had to use zip ties to improvise a way to mount the UVB and ambient lighting... Everything will be perfect next month when I can afford to build him a perfect enclosure. I would be willing to send a picture to one of the experts privately but not on a public post because people are often very judgemental.
No one is judgmental on the ugliness of an enclosure. Only when it's too small for the tort in it or if bad/dangerous stuff is being used.
My enclosures look like crap. All scrap wood screwed in every which way. Bungie cords and chains used to hold up some stuff, rope to hold others.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I understand but just check the conditions are correct. I would reduce uvn to 8 hours to see if that helps rest your tortoise. It is trial and error.

Kevboosh

California
She wasn't doing anything you are saying of her. We don't know anything more about you than what you are saying about the tortoise. As you can likely tell, she is very active and long time, from beginning, member. You can't even imagine the people this forum tries to help and they just blow it off as if they already know all the care needed, because they read the care sheet once or read on that wasn't on this forum and they think they know it all, even though they have most if not all of the care wrong! You asked the question and she gave you the best answer to it. You might not like it, but it is, what it is. It amazes me, when members get nasty to the person taking the time out of their day, to help you!!!
My Russians outdoor enclosure is all fencing and he doesn't pace and he can see out all sides. So that likely isn't it!
I know what impoliteness and disrespect look like. She was doing it and now so are you. She didnt answer the question at all, let alone "best". I'm not trying to start a fight but I have a right to tell people when I dont appreciate the way they talk to me. Your attitude is not helpful. I'm not going to engage in this argument anymore. It's unproductive and rude to the people who have to be uncomfortable witnessing it.

Kevboosh

California
You make it very easy to not care about what you have to say when you do immature stuff like that.

Kevboosh

California
Update: giving him more, taller stuff to climb is keeping him away from the sides of his enclosure