How’s this enclosure for my new western hermanns hatchling?

islandtort

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
2C237BF7-2523-436C-880C-A0A449B344F2.jpeg
I just received my first western hermanns from garden state tortoise! How's this set up for him? I made a little fence for him so he can't see through (gotta finish the last two ends). Temp on the basking rock is 90 degrees, on the other side it's mid 70s. It's also hard to see but I made a level change so he has to climb up little hills and whatnot. Super shallow water dish. His cave on the left goes down a few inches and I have sphagnum moss inside. I am slightly struggling with the humidity but after adding the cypress mulch it is at least staying in the 60s instead of the 50s. Anything you would change or add?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would get rid of the moss. It can tangle limbs and if they eat it, many do, it can do damage inside.
Coconut coir will hold humidity and not mold like moss will.

Astrid37

Virginia, USA
Congrats. My girl is a WH from GST, as well. They need to be in a closed chamber. The humidity should be around 80% 24/7. Daytime temps 80-85, nighttime mid-high 70's.

Would scour these and make necessary changes in substrate, heat etc. Also will need some kind of UVB, sunlight or artificial. Lots more here:

https://www.hermannihaven.com/t-hermanni-care-sheet
And in the Temperate Tortoise Species care sheet on the sticky above.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
They like a hide can you provide an arch shape in the top right corner near the basking area? Overall this may work for a hatchling but as it grows year 2 plus the enclosure will need to be bigger.

islandtort

Pennsylvania
They like a hide can you provide an arch shape in the top right corner near the basking area? Overall this may work for a hatchling but as it grows year 2 plus the enclosure will need to be bigger.
Yeah this is def only planned to be set up for his first couple years. I figured the artificial fern would provide some cover if he wanted to get some shade but still be by the heat. I’ll look into a little hide as well!

islandtort

Pennsylvania
Congrats. My girl is a WH from GST, as well. They need to be in a closed chamber. The humidity should be around 80% 24/7. Daytime temps 80-85, nighttime mid-high 70's.

Would scour these and make necessary changes in substrate, heat etc. Also will need some kind of UVB, sunlight or artificial. Lots more here:

https://www.hermannihaven.com/t-hermanni-care-sheet
And in the Temperate Tortoise Species care sheet on the sticky above.
Awesome! How old is your girl? This is actually where I got a majority of my info for this set up and is what I followed for the substrate. Would you recommend anything other than what I have? I have a thin layer of coco coir and sand on the bottom, then a mix of a few inches of coco coir and cypress mulch on top.

Rock-y

MN
Looking good!
I just got my western as well from GST. Here is my set up! Gave him two hides and he rather burrow in the cypress and dirt in the right hand corner. Still not done looking for a good shade plans for him.

Attachments

• DD7BC220-07A5-4063-83E7-BD1D5C857F86.jpeg
    DD7BC220-07A5-4063-83E7-BD1D5C857F86.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 18
  • FBA759FD-DED7-40D7-9359-82C61293617A.jpeg
    FBA759FD-DED7-40D7-9359-82C61293617A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16

islandtort

Pennsylvania
Looking good!
I just got my western as well from GST. Here is my set up! Gave him two hides and he rather burrow in the cypress and dirt in the right hand corner. Still not done looking for a good shade plans for him.
Oh man that enclosure is awesome! Def going to make some changes to mine now haha. So cool we might have sibling torts. Do you have real plants in there or all fake? Also what's your substrate- just coco coir and cypress mulch? Also what size is your enclosure?

Rock-y

MN
Oh man that enclosure is awesome! Def going to make some changes to mine now haha. So cool we might have sibling torts. Do you have real plants in there or all fake? Also what's your substrate- just coco coir and cypress mulch? Also what size is your enclosure?
The base is bio active from bio dude, coco on top of that then cypress on the right. All real plants. I planted reptile grass thinking some might come up. But all of it is sprouting. Lol. He enjoys munching on it as he travels over top. The spider plant I put in a wood looking container so it can hang down and he can nibble on it, but did not want him running it over. It is a 40 gal, with the front vents below the door. It keeps it in 70% humidity pretty good.

Rock-y

MN
the log is ceramic birch, and the branches are real birch. The rocks I just found up north.

Astrid37

Virginia, USA
My WH is a little over 1yr old. Sand is viewed differently even among experienced keepers on this forum. Chris at GST uses a little of it in his substrate, so I do, too. This is mixed with cypress mulch, mini pine bark, and coco coir. It's very important to feed them on a slate or dish, never directly on the substrate. It's also important to always have a shallow dish of fresh water available.

islandtort

Pennsylvania
The base is bio active from bio dude, coco on top of that then cypress on the right. All real plants. I planted reptile grass thinking some might come up. But all of it is sprouting. Lol. He enjoys munching on it as he travels over top. The spider plant I put in a wood looking container so it can hang down and he can nibble on it, but did not want him running it over. It is a 40 gal, with the front vents below the door. It keeps it in 70% humidity pretty good.
Yeah you did a really nice job. I actually just rearranged everything for him and I like this set up much better, but I think I’m going to use some real plants like you did. Those little grass sprouts look amazing. A couple questions-
1. The grass grows right in the coco coir? Where could I find some and what are they officially named?

Funny I have a spider plant on top of my enclosure, maybe I’ll incorporate it into it.

2. I can’t seem to get my humidity to stay above low 60s. What do you do?

Attachments

• 90EEC3E5-AB46-4BD3-9596-339F3DB76817.jpeg
    90EEC3E5-AB46-4BD3-9596-339F3DB76817.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7

Rock-y

MN
I like it!! I used terrarium grass I found at a reptile store. It is in dirt/coco about an inch down. Only took a couple of days to sprout.

I originally was going to do a lot of plants, however just got too full.
I used on top Double Reflective Insulation- from Home Depot. I think that is helping along with the plants. I got the idea from someone in the Forum. I spray everything down every morning and in the afternoon if needed.

Attachments

• 99E3F1EC-64E9-4294-96B5-482D06875217.jpeg
    99E3F1EC-64E9-4294-96B5-482D06875217.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6

islandtort

Pennsylvania
I like it!! I used terrarium grass I found at a reptile store. It is in dirt/coco about an inch down. Only took a couple of days to sprout.

I originally was going to do a lot of plants, however just got too full.
I used on top Double Reflective Insulation- from Home Depot. I think that is helping along with the plants. I got the idea from someone in the Forum. I spray everything down every morning and in the afternoon if needed.
I think I have to get some of that insulation! And is that just standard wheat grass?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Yeah you did a really nice job. I actually just rearranged everything for him and I like this set up much better, but I think I’m going to use some real plants like you did. Those little grass sprouts look amazing. A couple questions-
1. The grass grows right in the coco coir? Where could I find some and what are they officially named?

Funny I have a spider plant on top of my enclosure, maybe I’ll incorporate it into it.

2. I can’t seem to get my humidity to stay above low 60s. What do you do?
Hello, for humidity you need to check enclosure is closed. If there are large holes for cables you can partially block the holes with plastic bag just ensure oxygen can get in for tortoise Get a plant water sprayer and spray over substrate and surrounding the heat will evaporate and you get your humidity.
New layout nice but switch water dish as currently hazard (it can tip in head first and get stuck) . It is important to encourage walking through water , sitting in water. Post 8 has a flat plant base which works exceedingly well and also you need a second for food as they like to walk on and sit on their food as they eat. Place some small stones round edge of both to help ingress and egress. Clean dishes am and pm. I replenish water am and pm and fresh food provided am and removed pm.

Rock-y

MN
I think I have to get some of that insulation! And is that just standard wheat grass?
Hello, for humidity you need to check enclosure is closed. If there are large holes for cables you can partially block the holes with plastic bag just ensure oxygen can get in for tortoise Get a plant water sprayer and spray over substrate and surrounding the heat will evaporate and you get your humidity.
New layout nice but switch water dish as currently hazard (it can tip in head first and get stuck) . It is important to encourage walking through water , sitting in water. Post 8 has a flat plant base which works exceedingly well and also you need a second for food as they like to walk on and sit on their food as they eat. Place some small stones round edge of both to help ingress and egress. Clean dishes am and pm. I replenish water am and pm and fresh food provided am and removed pm.
I think so, it does not specifically state it.
After looking at the water dish yah, it is a little deep looking. I got mine at Walmart for $1.00.

islandtort

Pennsylvania
Funny you mention the water dish- before I left for work this morning I was thinking the same thing so I actually swapped it to a much smaller and more shallow one (the one that’s upside down under the heat lamp in the pic). Thanks for the humidity tips! I have a screen top now. It feels weird having it 100% closed in but I guess that’s what you have to do!