Hovabator incubator

Mike05

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Hey there again. So question about the hovabator incubator. I have the model 1602N. Just have the base model. Not with a fan. The base model is what I read about that seemed like most people had so I went with it. Any ways so there is a number of vent holes around the bottom edges of it. I have read some people close those off but I haven't read any where that says I should leave them open. Just that they don't even mention them. I also have 5 vent holes at the top of it. Not speaking of the red plugged up holes. But just 5 holes in the top. Do ya'll leave those alone also? I have not dug up the eggs yet. I wanted to get the incubator set up first. I have the temp right where I want it. The humidity level was staying right around 66%. Maybe closing the bottom holes would help with the humidity? Thank you for any help you may give. BTW I live in Va, the room where the incubator would be at stays around 72-75 degrees and evidently the humidity level in the room stays fairly low in the mid 30s. :)

Mike

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
When I used it I could only keep the humidity at about 60% but I put a cup of warm water in there with paper towels in it and it came up to 80%

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I covered all the holes with electrical tape and kept the little water channels on the bottom filled with water. The eggs were kept in clear plastic shoe boxes with the lids on and four 1/8th inch holes drilled around the top of the shoe box.

The problem is that you can only fit one clutch of eggs in there at a time, and each sulcata female lays multiple clutches.

Scott350

Fort Myers Florida
I have never plugged my holes and my humidity stays around 80 -85%. But I also live in Florida. If your outside humidity is low then I suggest plugging the holes.