Housing Multi Speices

ChrisColumbia20

Hello everyone. Titus my juvenile red footed tortoise is doing very well and is doing great. My little brother is getting a Giant Day Gecko and before he went and bought a whole new set up and got everything together I wanted to see if maybe they could coexist in the same inclosure I have a 30 gallon tank set up for titus until he grows of course and i figure since he won't be living there the whole time I could put the Day gecko with titis until he moves out. Let me no if they will be fine together and if it is possible for them to live together. thanks again.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
the biggest problem I see is the tortoise may consider the gecko food they're omnivorous

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with David's assessment, but I also think that disease transmission is a possible issue too.

Its best if species are just not mixed.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Bad idea. Your tortoise could hurt/kill the gecko. There also may be a disease transfer risk.

Mixing species is generally a bad idea, unless you have the resources of a zoo at your disposal.

ChrisColumbia20

I understand the concern of the disease but you my red foot(who is smaller then a baseball) really try to eat the gecko?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Yes, the footed species are opportunistic omnivores - if the gecko is resting in mouth range, your tortoise is likely to try to take a bite of it.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I guess it'd be different in the outdoor enclosure where the lil gecko has places to run and hide. My RF yearlings seem only ever interested in hunting down small snails outside. Have never seen them try to nibble on anything else

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
No way would I take the risk to put them in the same enclosure. Even if the tort did not immediately manage to get the poor gecko, the gecko would live in fear right up to the horrifying moment of attack.